Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 450 CLC – Diesel in Radiator?!

JHESL ยท 2014-02-07 22:24

On checking over my Deere 450 CLC this morning my maintenance guy found the radiator had diesel in it, and the overflow bottle also had a bit of fuel in it as well. There is no fuel in the crankcase. The machine runs fine and there is no strange noises or loss of power. We've already pulled the valve cover to check if there was anything obvious like a loose injector retainer or something silly like that. We flushed the cooling system and filled it back with fresh distilled water and then ran the machine for 50 minutes or so and we are seeing traces of fuel in the radiator again. The local Deere guys think that it's one of the seals on the injectors that is leaking causing the higher pressurized fuel in the fuel rail being pushed into the coolant passage. My worry is that it might be a cracked head. I couldn't get the Deere mechanic out to check it out today and he might not be able to come before Monday or Tuesday of next week. Anyone had this issue before? It's the Deere 6125H motor with the fuel rail cast into the head. It has just over 7500 hours on it and is well maintained. We did change an injector last year when one split open. I'm wondering if the guy I has install it might have screwed up the seals somehow. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies12
  1. #1ANDREW C2014-02-07 22:36

    Injector cups. You can do them in place without pulling the head but you need the correct tools. I'd do all six and change all injector orings. All rocker bolts and injector bolts are torque to yield, so change them too.

  2. #2JHESL2014-02-08 00:11

    Thanks man. I was wondering about the cups. I didn't realize that the injector and rocker bolts are TTY. We didn't change those when I installed the injector last year, so that might be part of the problem. I printed off the parts list schematic from JDParts.com and will order those as soon as Nortrax opens Monday morning. This is a bit annoying though, especially when the injector grenaded like it did last year. I like the power of this engine, but I wish I had bought the Hitachi version of this machine with the Izuzu motor. The one in my 800C has over 12,500 hrs on it and it runs like a sewing machine and fires up every morning on the first crank.

  3. #3rankothge2014-02-08 00:42

    some common rail engine have fuel heater and cooler. it's cooling source is radiator water.this picture details is cat c7 engine

  4. #4ANDREW C2014-02-08 00:47

    The 12.5l was a great engine but not without problems. Mainly the injectors and fuel system. What happened to the last injector? Did the spring break? Those bolts are hit and miss Ive had them strip reusing them on a 13.5 when I was in a pinch. I wouldn't reuse them a second time. The izuzu engine is reliable and that's one of the reasons the d series and g series uses them and they are a 15l engine. If your having a tech come down to do it make sure he comes with all the tools to do those cups. Its a full days job usually.

  5. #5rankothge2014-02-08 01:00

    it's cant be injector problem. i think defective of fuel cooler or heater.please check it

  6. #6ANDREW C2014-02-08 01:15

    Its not an injector problem, its an injector cup problem. The cup is surrounded by coolant and the fuel is supplied through a drilling in the head. Unless there is a cracked head the only thing that can pass coolant and fuel is the cups. This machine never had a fuel heater or a cooler from factory unless someone added it.

  7. #7JHESL2014-02-08 08:26

    The machine doesn't have a fuel cooler/heater, so it must be the cups. I'm no diesel engine technician or engineer, but from what I see from the parts catalog schematic, that whole cup and injector design looks dumb to me. The injector that I changed had broken the spring and made such a god-awful noise that I thought it had a bent rod or broken piston. Andrew, how hard is it to pull those cups anyhow? Are they pressed into the head? What are they made of anyhow? And what special tools do they need? We have an outfit down here that specializes in Deere motors for marine applications, and there's a bunch of commercial vessels around with the 12.5L motors (I wouldn't want one of those). I'm hoping they have the tools to do this job. Worse part is that I have to wait until next week for one of the Nortrax dealers in Florida to open to order the parts and FedEx them to me, because they don't open on Saturday's. Even here, where we have a more laizze faire approach to business, our local Cat dealer is open for most of the day on Saturday. I'm starting to wish I had bought Cat machines now, because for some reason my machines seem to only break down on Friday afternoons, causing me to be down for a whole damn week at times. Thanks again for the input guys. It is very greatly appreciated.

  8. #8JHESL2014-02-08 08:34

    Andrew, one more question, if you don't mind: is there a risk that the fuel could leak into the oil or just the radiator? I mean do these cups also seal fuel from the oil passages, or is that the function of the o-rings? Thanks.

  9. #9Construct'O2014-02-08 09:43

    Deere Ag big four wheeler tractor use that motor also.If your in a hurry you could try one of them.Thinking like a 9200 uses the 12.5 Good luck

  10. #10ANDREW C2014-02-08 12:50

    There could be fuel in the oil too. Its hard to say. Oil and filter are pretty cheap. The injector sleeves are swedged into the head like a two stroke Detroit or early s60. The guy coming to do it will need- JDG1184 its the only tool to do it in the machine otherwise pull the head JDG970A pulls the rockers without them sliding all over the place may need JDG1847 depending on the esn JDG971 to set injector preload. Wouldn't hurt for them to do a valve set when they're done so he'll need those 1/4" wide feeler blades too. A marine mechanic propbably will have them if he works on 12.5 or 13.5 and he'll find it a lot easier to do on a hoe than a boat I'm sure. It makes a good bang when those springs break. I did an injector at one in the morning when that happened once. Its too bad that your dealer cant be open all day on satuardays. Our local dealer is. Take your esn to an agg dealer and they can look up those parts too or if you already have all the part numbers call them and order them from there.

  11. #11JHESL2014-02-08 18:06

    Thanks guys. And a big thank you to Andrew C for the specific information and advice, which is extremely helpful. We don't have a local Deere dealer, just a Marine diesel mechanic outfit that specializes in Deere engines, and they usually don't have anything other than filters and sensors in stock. I'm overseas, 500 miles south of Florida, so I have to order and import just about everything from Nortrax for my Deere machines. I usually use the Tampa dealer, as from experience they are much more helpful, dependable than the one in Miami. I'm flying up to Florida early next week, so I will probably just pick up the parts myself. Thanks again for all the helpful input.

  12. #12Andrew_D2014-02-08 23:15

    Yes they do. We did injector cups on our 9300 a couple of years ago. Hard to start in the cold. Did some checking and found fuel in the coolant. Andrew