Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 450 track slipping.

nicetoy ยท 2013-05-03 17:29

Picked up a Deere 450, late 70's, believe its a "d" model, but not 100%. I've been running it a few weeks now on a home site project.. I haven't really done much work with it so far except pull logs around. Yesterday I started pushing some dirt, and popping a few small stumps (6" or less). The right hand track seems to be slipping. When under a heavy load, it "groans" a bit and the right track stops turning. Now obviously this seems to be a clutch problem of sorts. The previous owner claims that both steering clutches were done within the last 2 years. It was a homeowner machine, so it didn't see much use. It has 2800 hours, and is in very nice shape besides that. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and it just really seems like an "adjustment" type of problem.. Anybody have any ideas? If it's something out of adjustment, where would that be located? Thanks,

Replies1
  1. #1NWH2013-05-03 22:55

    Make sure the steering lever linkage is not adjusted too tight . If you lift up the seat cushion you can see how it works . The steering levers declutch the steering clutches when you pull them back or if your machine has pedals when they are pushed.