So I've looked every where to get some ideas on what to look for next. I can push for days and not have any problems, but when i'm done with my job and ready to finish dressing everything, I hook up to a 12' box blade and drag it around. Sometimes for half an hour sometimes half a day. My machine pulls the thing awesome, engine and trans temps hardly ever gets over the 3/8s mark on the gauges. No lights, no buzzers, no wierd sounds, or smells. The things I've done are all new filters, checked and cleaned the screen in the injection pump and a new fuel cap. All the fluids are full and have less than 100 hours on them. The final drives are never hot, hardly even warm to the touch but the hydraulic tank is pretty warm to the point i cant leave my hand on it. I know for a fact its not a fuel issue. Where I'm lost is what to look at next, because after pulling the box blade for an hour or more the engine will start to load up like i have a blade full in front of it but really there is nothing!!! I mean it will slow the thing to almost a stop going down hill. The first few times I shut it down knowing a couple of locals that had to drop 40k for a transmission in their d65s, but now I'm not so sure it's the tranny. Yesterday it happened again so I decided to experiment with it and I found out if I work the blade up and down or turn just slightly to the left or right it accelerates and pushes like it should. The tilt will not change anything though. Sorry about the rant but I've searched every where online for a similar situation, I've called dealers, and done my own physical research on this machine with no good leads. Hoping some one one here has a good idea of where to start. Thank You.
I know its been awhile, but since I personally like to find out the answers to questions or problems like this I figure others might also. After talking to some locals and researching all I could we decided to try a TO30 oil over a TO10. I can't say that 100% did it though, because when I drained the transmission it had a lot of filmy white crap in it. I have no idea where the water would of came from since that fluid didn't have over a hundred hours on it. Anyway with fresh filters and for the most part all new TO30 oil its been working perfect and it runs a whole lot cooler in this 100 degree heat.
Komatsu d65-ex12 So where did you find the screen on the injection pump. Mine acts like it is starving for fuel when it is wide open on a load. The mechanic said to clean the screen in the fuel pump and explained where it was but I cant find it.
Interesting problem and solution you have stumbled upon ptrdozing. Best I can figure, when you hook up that "drag box", not sure what that is, but maybe it puts more constant load on the drive train as opposed to pushing a load with the blade momentarily, back up with no load, then push another load. Do make sure that the oil cooler and radiator isn't clogged with dirt/debris, this would only add to the problem, and make certain the fan blade tension is proper. This may be of no help rk668ak as I'm not familiar with the D65EX-12, but it's possible the screen your mechanic was referring to isn't in the injection pump itself, but in a fitting at the fuel lift pump. They're typically found in a banjo fitting connection at the lift pump. Here's a thread that shows one of those type banjo fitting screens on a different machine, yet it's a screen/fitting found on numerous machines. > HeavyEquipmentForums
willie59 is right on, its a banjo bolt on the cab side of the lift pump. Just undo it then the screen comes out of the inside of the bolt with a flat blade screwdriver. I deal with this a couple times a year usually. Pretty simple fix its just an annoying that I have to remember when it starts feeling doggy that's probably what needs done.
You were right on I found some junk in the line by the banjo fitting. Thanks Guys.
Awesome news rk668ak.
I ran into this issue some years ago on a D85. Apparently the torque converter has a three stage converter and there is a Sprague clutch or two in there. When there is a load some part of the converter locks on the sprague and when there is no load the thing runs free. What we saw on this machine was that when there was no load from the drive train the converter would slug and bog down the engine and over heat the transmission oil. I had that converter out once and another guy had it out after me. I was working at the dealer then so a transmission guy pulled down the unit and said there wasn't anything wrong. I don't know to this day what the problem was for sure, but between the factory rep and us, we only figured the sprague issue after a lot of head scratching. It sounds like using the heavier oil did the trick for you. Congrats.
Thanks. I've put around a couple hundred hours on the machine since and no problems to speak of, but its good to hear of the issue you had cause I'm sure someday this will come back when I least expect it.
a d65px-12 is know where near comparison with the d85.....there is also in the rear of the d65 a small fuel strainer gets dirty,,,, remove rear cover and it should be mounted in that area...