Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 450B front idler adding lube

Labparamour ยท 2014-08-24 20:45

Good afternoon all, I want to know if I can add lube to the front idler while on the machine. I removed the bolt on the outside of the idler shaft but don't really see a gallery or slot for the idler to accept lube. Thanks, Darryl

Replies4
  1. #1td25c2014-08-24 21:49

    Depending on the brand some axil shafts are drilled through the center for the oil galley . My IH TD25 is like that . I installed grease fittings on both front idlers . Give them a few shots now & then . My Fiat Allis HD16 has the center bolt but it is a blind hole like you are describing on the 450B . We drilled in to the oil cavity from the outside just above the bearing retainer at about a 45 degree angle . Then tapped it for an 1/8 " pipe plug . This allows to check & fill oil level if needed .

  2. #2Labparamour2014-08-26 00:30

    Thanks. I'm going to check the inside of the idler- maybe just one side has a hole for adding lube.

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-08-26 00:55

    Kinda depends on the brand of idler. Some can have a pipe plug in the side of the wheel that feeds oil to the center cavity while others have a cross drilled axle.

  4. #4Labparamour2014-08-26 11:14

    My son's td7 had the plug on the idler- nice feature