My little lawn tractor started squeaking about a week ago. I figured it was a track idler failing on me. Not a big deal to fix, so I didn't pay much attention to it. However today it started squeaking a bit more. No where near continuous, but enough for me to notice with ear plugs in. I felt the different idlers, and nothing was remotely warm, except the large front idler. So, after looking around, it doesn't appear to be a major fix. Break the tracks, remove guards, remove the the four bolts that hold the idler to the little wish bone looking thingy, that goes to the track tensioner. (Yeah, those are technical terms. ) Am I missing anything? Once its out, is it a serviceable bearing, or am I just looking at replacing the entire idler/bearing assembly? Serial number 5CJ01041. Any help would be appreciated. CJ
I usually just exchange them with my Cat dealer.... Is this a cat idler or Berco?
im guessing berco, as that's what the rails say. I'll take clean it up tomorrow, and see if I can find out.
Im guessing Berco too...lol, I've had terrible luck with Berco idler's. I no longer use them.
I'll second that with berco, not worth the price, go cat or who ever is the cheapest if your low on money.
ITR is another outfit who supplies track parts
Going with cat. The dealer is just down the road a bit. Sounds like a fairly easy job then?
It'll all depend on what contingent damage you find when you pull it apart. Cross your fingers.
If the idler wheel is hitting yolk or close to it than its probably not repairable then I would have new one on hand, easier to stay on task and wrap it up in one shot, open fill valve of track adjuster, clean dirt off rod, install wooden block between front track and blade then angle blade slowly to push idler back, then open track up.