Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 450C Track Loader Transmission Noise

Claus ยท 2017-10-12 20:03

I bought my 450C track loader a month ago. Haven't used it very much but have started cleaning up my fence rows with it. A problem started the other day, the transmission acted like it was stuck in two gears at the same time. it would pull the engine down as soon as I let the clutch out and the gear shift lever was stuck. With the engine shut off I was able to wrestle the shift lever out of gear. Now the transmission is making a loud banging when traveling, any gear either direction. I shut it down, didn't want to further damage anything. Anybody had this experience? Where is the best service manual to buy? I will be enlisting the help of my uncle, he is a reread Case equipment mechanic.

Replies8
  1. #1d9gdon2017-10-12 22:33

    I would say that your reverser is causing the problem. They are a breed or their own. See if you can round up a service manual as there's lots of adjustments to them. I see one on Ebay for around $50. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...&_nkw=john+deere+450c+service+manual&_sacat=0

  2. #2old-iron-habit2017-10-15 21:34

    I agree with d9gdon, Get a proper book and starting at the master clutch go through the entire adjustment procedure step by step. I have seen a number of them messed up because of improper adjustment. The clutch pedal is a two step affair. All the way in for stopping the master clutch and everything else in the drivetrain. Use for shifting the main direct gear drive transmission and PTO if equipped. Half way pushed in should disconnect only the High/Low/Reverser function for stopping the machine while raising the bucket while loading a truck or whatever. Improper adjustments can cause all sorts of problems including ruining your master clutch in short order. Your clutch and steering brakes also have a sequenced adjustment on them. Good machines, and when properly set up they will go for years when run with a little understanding of how they work.

  3. #3Claus2017-10-19 16:56

    I don't think I have an adjustment problem...........Shazam!!

  4. #4DMiller2017-10-19 19:09

    That left a mark!! Might be time to locate a used box.

  5. #5d9gdon2017-10-19 20:10

    Hey those tractors are famous for breaking the mounting bolt holes in the transmission case so just a heads up. The bolts would get loose and then break out.

  6. #6Hobbytime2017-10-19 20:34

    ouch thats gona cost a few bucks....I have a JD 355 d track loader, before buying that was the first thing I checked, dropped the belly pan to check all the tranny bolts..all were nice and tight...otherwise I was told it will tear the machine apart if run with the loose bolts that eventually fall out..I would first find out why and what caused that failure and then go about fixing..pull the belly pan and see if any of the tranny casing is cracked or broken..

  7. #7old-iron-habit2017-10-19 23:02

    Ouch. That hurts. Somebody shifted the main box to many times with a out of spec clutch adjustment that did not release?

  8. #8redneckracin2017-10-20 10:29

    Give a shout out to the guys in meyerstown at wegners for replacement parts.