Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fluids for 941b

RLHnTX ยท 2017-10-07 23:39

OK, not only am I new to this forum, I'm also new to owning a Cat. Recently I purchased a 941b to clear some shooting lanes on a deer lease and to dig out a creek bed on a small ranch. The guy I purchased the traxcavator from told me to use hydrolic fluid for the hydrolics, Hy/Trans fluid for the transmission and steering, and Delco 15/40 for the engine. However, I called a mechanic out to evaluate the machine due to a weakness in the bucket cylinders. While talking to me, he suggested that I use the Delco 15/40 not only for the engine, but for the hydrolics, the steering, and the transmission. He said on the older machines, this is done all the time. As I said, I'm new to owning a Cat, so this being something I've never heard of, isn't much of a surprise. But what about the rest of you? Have y'all ever heard of doing this?

Replies6
  1. #1Old Magnet2017-10-08 20:51

    You don't want to be using motor oil anywhere there is a clutch. It is to slick for that application. Current use for that application is Cat TO-4 Spec TDTO (Transmission Drive Train Oil) or equivalent.

  2. #2RLHnTX2017-10-08 21:20

    thank you so much for the reply. OK, I realize I'm showing my ignorance here, but where do I find Cat TO-4 TDTO or it's equivalent? And how would one know if another product was an equivalent? I don't remember seeing Cat TO-4 TDTO on anything I've been using.

  3. #3CavinJim2017-10-08 21:40

    Wouldn't it be OK to use Cat TO-2 TDTO oil in this instance? Did the change to TO-4 predate the 941b's? If TO-2 is OK, it's easier to find non-Cat fluids. Locally, Champion 4000 is the only fluid that "meets or exceeds" the TO-2 spec. RLHnTX--it has been said many times on this forum and elsewhere but it always bears repeating: "recommended for use in..." does NOT equate to "meets" a spec! Keep that in mind when shopping for fluids and IMHO it is always best to stick with the manufacturer's fluids--that way you KNOW that you are getting the right stuff and not some left-overs.

  4. #4Old Magnet2017-10-08 22:06

    TO-2 is an obsolete spec replaced by the TO-4 which are Caterpillar Designations. Equivalents are Mobil Trans HD Series, Chevron Drive Train Fluid HD and Co-Op Lubricants Sonic TORC Series IV. TO-2 was probably in spec. at the time of the 941B. Any local oil jobber should be able to help you out.

  5. #5RLHnTX2018-02-18 21:17

    I really appreciate the reply and the information. Very helpful. Any suggestions for the hydraulic fluid I should use?

  6. #6Nige2018-02-19 13:12

    Spec for hydraulic oil (from the book) would be an SAE 10W hydraulic fluid. Years ago the perceived wisdom was that you could run engine oil in hydraulics but that has been pretty well done away with now.