Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 450c Transmission Preventive Maintenance

Timberland · 2023-11-26 22:47

I tore into my 450c including removing the engine and bell housing in order to fix the leaking 1 inch expansion plug that’s in the transmission front cover. While I’m in here I’m going to replace the other 2 expansion plugs. Not having one of these opened up before I’m curious if there is anything else I should replace while it’s open? I am replacing all clutch parts. Nothing else seemed to be broke or leaking but it’s such a job to get everything opened up I would like to change anything else that tends to fail on these machines. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1mg23612023-11-27 05:16

    Those tubes rarely leak unless they are loose?? However, I always reseal the threads and make sure they are tight whenever I am in to one of these. Most times, the input shaft seal inside the transmission pump is what leaks as well as the shaft seal on that little arm for the HLR clutch adjustment. Resealing those shafts would be a lot of work since removing the bell housing would be required.

  2. #2Timberland2023-11-27 11:50

    mg, thanks for the reply and great info picture. 1. Yes I did disconnect the spring. Plan on replacing it. 2. The adjuster is definitely tight. I knew there was something wrong inside because I had to tighten so much and add washer shims when adjusting the clutch. 3. To get to the oil pump seal,#2 in the oil pump photo, does the whole oil pump come off or just the nose cone? 3. I’m not sure what your arrow is pointing at in the second place you note they like to leak. I looked at the transmission clutch and shift linkage diagram and didn’t see any seals. Pic #2. Please clarify, thanks. If these areas aren’t currently leaking would you replace seals anyway or leave them be? I was planning on replacing the expansion plug #17 in photo 3 because it looks corroded. Would you leave this be or replace? Whatever I do I really don’t want to pull the front cover off. Thanks for your help.

  3. #3mg23612023-11-27 12:08

    Oil pump has to come off. See picture below. If it is corroded, it wouldn't hurt to replace it. How is the plug #11? That is sealed with a press fit and with the O-ring #10. If you are sure the other items are not leaking and that your leak is just one of the pipes, then leave them be. If you are not sure, then replace everything that is in doubt. It is a lot of work getting in there. The roll pin worn out on that arm (#3 and 28 in the second photo)? #4 and 10 on the same photo also like to wear. Easy peasy once the bell housing is off.

  4. #4Timberland2023-11-27 12:22

    I planned to replace plug 11 and seal 10 in front cover for safety. I didn't know they were press fit. Is it possible to tap these in with a hammer or will cover have to come off to press them? I understand seal #15 now and will look into it as well as check the transmission clutch linkage for wear. Calling Deere This morning for price and availability of parts. We have Pape as our Deere dealer which seems to like to price gouge. I there a better place you would recommend for parts?

  5. #5Timberland2023-11-27 15:53

    I got everything ordered. Having not pulled an oil pump apart I have some questions: 1. Do parts 1-5 come out the front of the cover to where you don't need to remove the cover? 2. If I do remove the cover are parts 5 and 9 reusable if no damage is apparent? 5 and 9 are listed as sealing washers and are in the 1st photo of my second post. Thanks

  6. #6Timberland2023-11-27 22:01

    Scratch my last post about the oil pump. My book lays out seal replacement and reusable parts. Mg2361, I checked the transmission clutch linkage, #3 in 2nd parts pic I posted. Pin looked tight on #3. When I wiggled it it had about 1/4 - 3/8” of play. I could hear something clicking in the transmission when I wiggled it. From someone who hasn’t checked this before it felt pretty good to me. I didn’t mention when I pulled everything apart the clutch disk was swelled and rusted or stuck solid to the flywheel and clutch pressure plate. It was a mess.