Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 455- hydraulics and steering question

Labparamour ยท 2013-09-06 12:26

Morning All, I was looking at an early 80's Deere 455 track loader and have a few questions: The hydraulics reservoir was about 2" below the sight glass (still about 3" in the tank measuring using a dipstick)...there's a leak somewhere as the right side of the frame is wet. The loader bucket was slow and jerky to operate. Was there too little fluid in the tank for the pump or is it a bad pump? Steering: the left steering pedal stays on the floor and needs to be pulled back up- where it stays until pushed down again. Right side works fine. Only able to run about 4' back and forth but both brakes seem to work equally. I didn't pull the floorboard so I'm not sure- is there a return spring or is something seriously wrong? U/C is almost shot. Any thoughts on this model machine? Thanks for any help you're able to provide, Darryl

Replies10
  1. #1Greg2013-09-07 09:21

    If you are thinking of buying it my advise is to do an about face and run as far as you can, as fast as you can for as long as you can in the opposite direction.

  2. #2Labparamour2013-09-07 12:06

    That is kind of my thought, too. However, thought I would see if any of these issues might be easy (read "inexpensive") repairs. Fluids all looked clean and like oil was recently changed. Engine fired right up and exhaust ran clean. I appreciate the input.

  3. #3norite2013-09-07 20:56

    Price the cost of a new undercarriage, that added to what you are paying for the loader may make you want to look for another tractor.

  4. #4Labparamour2013-09-08 01:08

    Agreed. I'm currently getting quotes on those items. I worked with my son when he re-did the u/c on a TD7 and, all in all, a fairly painless task. What worries me more is the steering clutch/brake and hydraulic pump. It seems those items might be a more involved (or costly) repair. I know some machines/models are known for being bullet-proof and others have chronic issues and parts availabilty challenges.

  5. #5norite2013-09-08 12:49

    What model letter is it. For instance my 450 dozer is a 450D. Not directly familiar with the loader (455x), and my 450D steers with levers, but if this is a pedal steer, the JD parts diagram on their website shows a return spring which may be broken. As far as the hydraulics, leaks can usually be easily repaired (hoses). The low level in the tank and wet area on the machine would indicate a leak in that area. Previous owner or operator may have run the tank low enough to suck some air into the hydraulic system. You need to fix any major leaks, fill the hyd. tank and possibly bleed the lines at the cylinders to get the air out. Air in the lines will make it jerky and the time it takes to compress any air in the lines or cylinders will make it seem slow. Pump may be OK, you won't know until you have done the above repairs. Once again if the cost of the undercarriage makes this loader cost more than it is worth, forget the steering and hydraulics, it's time to look for something else. Even if a piece of equipment was free, sometimes it may still be not worth repairing if that cost exceeds the value. On the other hand if you can fix it up yourself at least you will know what you have. Good luck.

  6. #6Labparamour2013-09-08 20:34

    It says it's a 455 E. My thought was that, unless a major leak, I would still see better movement of the hydraulics unless pump was bad or sucking air. I know anything old/used is going to require work. I enjoyed working with my son on his dozer- possibly because it is his and I could step back for a bit when things got frustrating. I may see what the lowest is they will go and, with some of the parts prices i've looked up, decide if it's all worthwhile. Thanks again to all who've helped provide information.

  7. #7norite2013-09-08 21:42

    Let us know what you finally decide to do and if you do buy it keep us updated how the repairs go. We like lots of pictures here.

  8. #8Labparamour2013-09-09 12:10

    Sorry, yeah pics aways nice. It's a 50' machine...looks great from a distance. U/C is least of my worries- idler stretched to the end! bushings look like they have a good side so might be turned. Track shoes a little thin. So, I know it's a 30 year old machine but, my worries are if the outside is this worn what's the inside like? My son's TD7 has external adjuxtment for brakes so you can see how much is left. Deere spec sheet says automatic adjusting brakes so I'm not sure if there is a external sign to show life left. I will see if a dealer can offer any advise/info. Still considering options/costs. Tinkering is fun- busting knuckles---not so much. Will let all know final decision.

  9. #9DMiller2013-09-15 06:30

    Have looked at several 455 units, never could force myself to buy one. Too light to do any substantial work as a friend of mine found so he went to a 555G series, I stepped into a realm of steady repairs on a Allis unit and have serious regrets I did not hold out for a 955 or a larger Deere. The tractor as best I can see from the photo is a rebuild awaiting a wallet, I would also suggest to RUN as fast as you can the other way and await a better machine. Deere dealer near me quoted to a friend that owned a 455 more to roll pins/bushings than to buy rails from a outside source, if it needs to go that far new rails/rollers/sprockets/idler and shoes will be near to $14,000 before any labor. We found a hydraulic leak on my buddy's 455 after we removed everything but the hydraulic tank on the rear, the high pressure line from the pump to control valve was bad as were several line fitting to valve body O-rings, he also spent $1500 on getting just the left brake mechanism repaired as to get to the adjusters the tractor has to come apart to get into the housing. Cute and cheap to buy little tractors but expensive to get back to a fighting trim.

  10. #10Labparamour2013-09-15 10:53

    Yep, always a balancing act. Changed from old 50hp 2wd wheel farm tractor for a compact 30hp 4x4. I love the tighter turning radius and traction is so much better but I don't have the lifting capacity or height on bucket. So, shopping for a track loader I am trying to balance size, weight and price (and potential maintenance nightmare). Have some clearing and burn piles to do. A big machine would make short work of it but then there's transportation issues (I have a 10t trlr so could haul a smaller machine vs paying to have it done). I've priced out some undercarriage parts and for track chain and sprockets come in at about $1200/side. I appreciate the input. I'm still looking to see what else is out there... Have a good weekend. Darryl