I have an early model 544h with a transmission leak. The fluid is pouring out of the converter housing. I am guessing it is the input shaft seal but does anyone have an R&R procedure to get to it. I really don't want to pull the cab or engine.
Cab is easy to remove, can get the housing apart & t/c with trans still in machine. Output bearing is sealed & should be replaced also, probably be best to replace pump with t/c out.
My worry is the amount of rust under the cab. If I pull it there will be a lot more than just the seals that need replaced. What seal is in the housing that would cause it to leak?
Under the cab is always a mess, just takes some time to clean. You can go to look up parts book online, thru jdparts. The torque converter seal is more than likely the problem, if you replace the pump, it will have a new seal. Output bearing is $80, pump is $8-900, really all you should need. Pinch off your heater hoses & can save the antifreeze, just will need a/c charged when your done.
It looks like I can pull the engine pretty quick. Not as many hoses to pull and it seems like over the past 4 weeks 1 engine per week is the new norm. I wish stuff would stop breaking. Do I have my head up my butt on this?
You would have to squeeze under the cab & then get the rear Trans support out to access t/c, depends how small, young & agile your are. Takes me 4 hours to remove cab & I am no longer in young category. No hoses to undo other than heater core, a/c than your pilot controls. You can work on top of trans instead of under cab. Also if the trans does need to come out, your right there.
I ended up pulling the engine and it took about 10 hours total from tear down to assembled. The torque converter bearing failed and took out the seal. Scuffed up the converter some and I took a chance on putting it back together with just new seals. Worked great for about 2 months and now my leak is back. Haha. Tried to save the 3k on the converter since the scuff was so minimal. Sometimes things just don't work out. I think this go around I will pull the cab. Sometimes I'm penny smart and dollar stupid. I think this time I will not only replace the converter but also the pump.