Hi all. Title says it all realy, got a 980 and since I've had it the oil has risen bout 4" on the stick. I changed the oil when I got it and it's only done about 10 hours. I'm assuming fuel pump or injector pump would have to be the culprit but figured I'd ask first before attacking it. I was thinking hyd oil but I don't think that's possible?
First thing I'd be checking is fuel lines inside cam covers that go to the prechambers. Look for some place that looks washed off clean compared to the rest of the area.
Smell the dipstick to see if it's diesel. Gear driven hydraulic pumps can leak hydraulic fluid into engine oil as well.
Hi Kshansen. That's a good idea, I never even thought about that. Certainly would make for easy fix if that's all it is, thanks for the advice! d9gdon. Must admit I haven't smelt the oil yet but I'm pretty sure if it was a pump it would leak into the trans. I think the pumps drive off a gear train behind the converter? I'll check my manual but I think that's how it works. I just assumed its fuel, oil is thinning out. Still putting crop in atm I'll sus it out better when I get time, got the iPad in the tractor sure makes the hours pass quickly lol. Thanks guys I'll report back when I get to it.
Depending on leaks to the outside you might be able to rule that out if hydraulic level has or hasn't changed. Trying to remember if the Vickers pumps on that machine have weep holes to let the oil show on the outside. Another possibility would be the transmission pump. Again that should show as a drop in oil level there. Like d9gon says best first test is the sniff test, and 4 inches extra should also make the engine oil noticeably thin if it is indeed fuel oil, not so much with hyd. oil and even less with trans. oil.
Just took a quick look on SIS to refresh my memory. I believe you are right the 980 has a pump drive between the engine and the transmission so it is behind the rear seal of the engine. Some other Cat loaders of that vintage have the pump drive as part of the flywheel housing so a leak on them could possibly get into the engine. I know that is how the 966C and the 988(A) 87A's were built, also assume the 980B's with the 3306 are the same as the 966C's.
Yeah that's not driven in the engine gear train, now that I look in SIS. Injection pump seals would be next, if not those fuel lines under the covers aren't the culprit.
Hi, yeah have my fingers crossed its just a fuel line, don't fancy pulling the pump out lol. Must say I'm surprised (lil disappointed) how smooth this engine runs for a v8, I was expecting it to have a bit of note to it but just sounds like a 6.
Whoops i meant those lines are the culprit
Hi all Been a while since I posted this but I finally got around to pulling the covers off today and giving it a run, no fuel leaks to be seen . Hoping to give the old girl a workout on the weekend but I'm not to keen with so thin oil. Where do I go from here? I'll have to study my manual tomorrow to see but can the fuel transfer pump cause this or am I going to have to pull the inj pump off? Any advise would be good thanks.
In a perfect world any fuel that might leak past seals in the transfer pump would drain out through the weep hole to the outside. This would prevent it from getting into the engine oil. That said on a machine the age of this one nothing will be "perfect"! Been looking at parts break down on the transfer pump and lines, I believe the pump on this engine has a 1/4 inch steel line coming off the side of the pump near where it mounts. If you follow this line it should end down the side of the block and be open to the air. Could be steel or plastic line. If this line has been damaged or is plugged in some way it would not drain off any leakage and let it get into the engine oil. First thing I would do is disconnect it at the pump and remove any fittings there to see if there is fuel coming out.
Hi kshansen, I think you are spot on with your advice! That fitting on the bottom of the pump was leaking when I got the loader, it was loose and leaking fuel all the time so I removed it and added some thread tape and tightened it up. I didn't realise that was a drain line, as you can see it has been blocked off. You would have to assume this was leaking previously and they have plugged it and when I stopped it from leaking it has started pushing fuel into the engine. Ill sort that and see what happens, Thanks!!!
Ps picture is side on.