I'm buying a dozer primarily for residential construction work as well as a little light ranch work. I have located an '05 Deere 550H LT and an '06 Komatsu D37EX-21 that I want to look at next week. Neither machine is close, so I will be doing some travelling. The Komatsu is a cab machine, the Deere is OROPS. The Komatsu is also more expensive, but still within my budget. I have not seen either machine in person yet, so I can't really say which is in better condition. I can get all kinds of information on the Deere (here on the forum and locally) but not much on the Komatsu. Anybody have experience with the D37EX-21 specifically? Anyone ever compare these two machines? I know either machine will do what I need, just want to be better prepared to compare them. Thanks.
I have a 1998 JD 650 G with 3400 hours and am happy with it. I wish I had spent a little more money and gotten a newer dozer with hydrostatic transmission. I have heard nothing but good things about Komatsu. In my area the dealer network is not very good for Komatsu, but is excellent for the John Deere. I would get the one that you will have the easiest time getting parts and service for. As far as enclosed cab, that is a tuffy for me as I would like one in the winter only. In the summer I don't want to be in and out of AC when it is hot. I would just as soon have OROPs and the temp is what it is. Also, it depends on where you will using the machine as if it is a rough area you are more likely to have the windows smashed by vandals. If I was the only one running the machine and it was primarily on a farm I would definetly get the enclosed cab. Good Luck.
Its hard to beat either one but at the end of the day the deere is a better machine. The #1 reason ppl buy a komatsu or at least in my area for a new one is price. But the deere usually makes up for it on resale and getting parts. just scope out both machines and really check to see if they have been serviced and taken care of. Look at Blade bushings,rollers,sprockets, carrier rollers pin and chain bushings for % left or tightness. Control valve leaking: oil in the belly pain. Look for cracks or welds in mainframe or basically anywhere on the machine. You can even get the serial # of the deere and call a dealer to see if any deere dealer has done work to the machine. The deere serial # should start out like T0550HX****** I believe. I personally like a enclosed cab and a winch on the back to balance out the machine. IF you don't plan on using it day in and out I would try finding a G-series Deere.
You can get parts readily for either machine. Once you hit 5000 hours on the Deere expect to drop some cash in some repairs....Before you Deere guys get on me for my last comment, that is just my experience in my area.
Not going to. Parts must be a little better to get up there. You wouldn't think there would b that much of a difference between us in the states but there is. Guess it depends on the dealer as always. D155 what have you ran into with the Deere's?
I have a thousand or so hours on a 700H for a local contractor I used to work for. Right around 5500 the drive pumps and motors went. About 1400 hours after that a final went. Another local contractor that I deal with on a daily basis now gets rid of their 650 Deere's as soon as they hit 4000 hours to avoid any issues. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love running the Deere hydrostats. Good power and quick. Those are just some of the issues I have had/heard of.
I have a 2002 550HLT i bought 2 years ago. i love this machine! a 650 would be nice but i easily move it around local with my F550. the 650 is tha same motor with a little more weight. i havent had one single problem, but the machine only has 2400hrs on it. before that i had rented a 450J and komatsu D37. although i think the D37 was a late 90's machine i would take the 450J over that. the difference from the 550H that i have and i new 550J is unbelievable. i was told a lot had to do with the adjustable pitch of the blade which i am looking into putting on my 550. the cab would be nice on the komatsu tho but nothing looks as good as a deere with some limb risers!
komatsu builds the worlds largest bulldozer. john deer builds a hellova farm tractor.
Update: The Komatsu I wanted to look at sold Saturday evening. I have a hold on the Deere 550H LT through Wednesday. It's undercarriage was measured today at 60%. The machine has just over 3000 hours. I have also located a 450J LT with 1900 hours for just a little more money. I have an appointment to see it Wednesday also. A guy nearby has a low-hour Dressta TD7H for sale, but I'm not sure I want to jump into that. I'll update after my road trip Wednesday.
Update Part 2: I looked at the Deere 550H LT today, and passed on it. Many thanks to QuickTrax on this forum with helping me measure the undercarriage. My measurements varied just slightly from the seller's; his measurement = 60% and mine = 25% or less. Lots of other wear too. Just a sloppy, worn dozer. I went over and looked at the '05 Dressta TD-7H. 542 original hours (believable too), one owner, service records, no leaks, and very tight machine. Being a torque converter machine, it is different to run compared to the Hydrostats, but it's not bad. I kinda liked it. The Cummins purrs nice. The specs that Dressta e-mailed to me would place this machine closer in size/weight/power to a Deere 450H, but it would do what I need. The price is fair. Any opinions on this one? I forgot to add, the 450J is a rental and went out on rent, so I'll have to see it later.
how much are they asking for the td7h?? thanks, KENT BAUGH WWW.KTBAUGH.COM
KTBAUGH, pm sent to you
John Deere VS Komatsu I have had two Komatsu's last year and think they are a great dozer. A 37 and a 39. The 39 had 5500 hours on it when I sold it and it's still humming right along at over 6000 now. I sold them both local BTW. I like the cage on a Komatsu A LOT BETTER in the woods. You never get hit like on a Deere. Where I think the Komatsu really shines is if you also run a bigger older Cat. The speed of the blade is close to the same. BTW, When I sell my little 450 J if I don't replace it with a Komatsu it's just because I couldn't find one. If your in the dirt the blade speed of the Deere is tops though.
Will you share what QuickTrax told you on how to measure the undercarriage. I am looking at a Deere 550h and that information would be helpful.
Bought a dozer. I found a good deal on a 2006 New Holland DC75 LT. Same machine as Case 650K. Cab & air, 315 hours. Should get here Thursday or Friday. wegoossens, I tried to send you a PM, but I think you have to have 3 posts before you can receive them.:beatsme Since that is Quicktrax's business, I hate to post it here without his permission.
Wegoosens, These are the major measurements you will need on your JD550H which has the same undercarriage as the 450H,J. Link Height--new is 90mm, 25% wore is 88.6, 50% wore is 87mm, 75% wore is 85.2mm, 100% wore is 83mm Idler--new is 17mm, 25% is 18.4mm, 50% is 19.8mm, 75% wore is 21.2mm, 100% wore is 22.5mm Bottom Roller--new is 182.6mm, 25% wore is 180.9mm, 50% wore is 178.9mm, 75% wore is 176.7mm, 100% wore is 174mm. Let me know if you need the complete spec. sheet. Thanks, QuickTrax
Thirdcoaster, The undercarriage on the New Holland DC75 is suppose to be the same as the Cat D3C,G which is good for you because it doesn't cost a lot. I have a DC70 in my shop now and just the top roller for that thing cost $250 dollars (OEM only).
Please send it to [email protected]
Quiktrax, I did make sure that the NH didn't have the long-life u/c (the one with the huge sprocket teeth & rolling bushings) because a Case mechanic told me to avoid them. That u/c is supposedly just run to destruction? Is that fact? I checked the online parts lists for the 650K and the DC75 and they use identical part numbers. We do have a nearby NH dealer that I've never dealt with, but I can also get parts/service from the Case dealer I bought my backhoe from & they do a good job. Let me see if I can post a photo. You know it's not a local machine from all the funny white stuff.
Thirdcoaster, Thanks for correcting me. You are right, after looking in my books, the DC75 does take the Case 650K undercarriage. We get a lot of the rolling bushing chains with the extended life sprockets come into our shop and I don't think we have seen anyone have any luck with them. We have been putting standard undercarriage back onto them. The Case extended life Undercarriage is made to run to destruction but I think the destruction part comes alot sooner than it should. Quicktrax
You should have the specs in your inbox. Good Luck, QuickTrax
the dressta machines are very nice, and not terribly expensive.