Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 6068

Mike L · 2020-05-30 05:56

its in a hood knuckleboom crane. I usually do the pm’s on this machine and lately it’s taking to starting hard. once it runs it’s fine but if the operator shuts it off for more than 5 minutes he has o crank the snot out of it to get it running. I don’t know much about this engine but I do know it’s common rail so I’m thinking it must have a rail relief versus a check valve on the return line? Anyone got some experience on what I should be checking?

Replies7
  1. #1mg23612020-05-30 06:56

    First a serial number. Next, check water separator filter to make sure the glass bowl has the o-ring between it and the filter. Any codes?

  2. #2Mike L2020-05-30 11:02

    I won’t have the serial until I get there on Monday. Display shows “ low rail pressure” if you crank it long enough and goes away once it fires but obviously that’s from extended cranking. A missing o-ring certainly could be the culprit.

  3. #3tool_king2020-05-30 22:05

    Sucking air will defiantly cause you a issue . Fuel may not come out but air will go in . I have seen this before.

  4. #4DB22020-05-30 22:30

    Created the same situation on a 4045T by inadvertently leaving out the bowl o ring. As Tool King stated air goes in but fuel doesn’t necessarily leak out.

  5. #5tool_king2020-05-30 23:58

    Yep I had fellow mechanics that I work screw me like that when I worked for rental company .They use to over look so much .I had one guy put fuel filters on backwards primary in secondary spot and secondary in the primary .Not once but twice on different machines .Dam the John Deere filter are even marked.

  6. #6partsandservice2020-06-02 23:27

    Pine straw in the 90' fitting. SPN 157 has many causes.

  7. #7Mike L2020-06-03 11:41

    Close. Before I got there the operator removed the fuel water separator and poured it out and found some pieces of an o-ring. Must’ve come out of the tank. They were old and starting to break down. As of now the crane starts good again, but we don’t know where it came from and when we’ll suck up the next piece.