Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 650G final drive overfilling from transmission

DMAK ยท 2025-10-29 00:40

I have a deere 650G. I was getting ready to change the oil in the finals and transmission and when I pulled the fill plug on one of the finals, oil came gushing out. It was overfull by about 2 quarts if I had to guess. It seems like the only way for that to happen would be for the seal between the final and the trans to be bad. Obviously in a perfect world, a guy would tear everything apart and put a new seal in it. Mt question is, since the final and the trans use the same oil how much trouble am I asking for if I just run it, check the final oil level daily, and keep the trans topped off? I'd really like to not have this thing down for repair right now, hoping to get it thru until spring when I'll have time to work on it. Thanks for the help!

Replies5
  1. #1mg23612025-10-29 05:01

    Run it and monitor it. Maybe it was just overfilled at a previous service? Seal between the final and the transmission is fairly easy to do. It can be done without splitting the track. You just have to remove the pinion shaft to get to it.

  2. #2DMAK2025-10-29 12:47

    Ok, thank you for the help. Do you think that seal fits thru the race in front of it? If so, that does seem like a pretty simple job. Thanks again.

  3. #3chidog2025-10-29 14:01

    Will likely need a slide hammer of sorts. And in the pic it looks like a smaller diameter than the race? Make sure to do something about not allowing it to drop into the final, either when removing it or installing it.

  4. #4mg23612025-10-30 04:41

    Yes, it will.

  5. #5DMAK2025-10-31 23:46

    Thanks guys. I'll report back when the day finally comes to tear into it.