Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 670B Information

digger1dog ยท 2012-06-26 15:02

I am looking at a Deere 670B with factory recon transmission, fresh paint, real good tires and a leak free (for the most part) hydraulic system, I think the price is fair but I am worried about the engine it has 12,000 +/- hours it has had regular service and above regular maintenance. Will anybody have an idea about the engine???

Replies5
  1. #1Silveroddo2012-06-27 20:04

    I dont know anything about the specific motor in that machine but Id just look at the typical stuff like Oil pressure, Blow by, leaks, smoking exhaust, knocks, etc. how does it start? what kind of operating level is the radiator running? I was talking to a guy a few weeks ago who was teling me when they hit that 10-12k hours range get ready for a rebuild (770s of that vinatage) but the ones he was talking about all either smoked and used oil prior to self distructing. I also know a contractor in the area with 16-17k hrs on a 770bh and orginal motor, so who knows. If it was me I'd price the rebuild and make sure that I was comfortable with the thought of spending the money if it came down to it, realistically that things at 100% of a reasonable life expectancy, anthing after this point is probably borrowed time.

  2. #2stinkycat2012-06-27 21:57

    Get the oil tested that will tell you of any secrets lurking in the engine

  3. #3I AM IRONMAN2012-06-28 16:04

    That engine is probably nearing it's end. A good rebuild is going to be $15,000.00 on the average, make sure to get the radiator boiled out while your at it, to keep it running cool.

  4. #4MrKomatsu2012-07-02 17:53

    I have a 1977 model 670 plain s/n:003883. Lookin for a reman transmission assy. Can anyone lead me to a source? I have checked till i'm blue in the face.....

  5. #5crewchief8882012-07-02 20:06

    those transmissions are easily rebuilt, unless you have ring & pinion problems. :drinkup