Deere 70f has wrapped hoses around rotating joint. Wont unwrap either direction. I rebuilt the joint several years ago and has been fine. One very cold morning it would only swing a quarter turn. Advice l got once to work through or force it through the ice. It did fine for weeks till a major oil leak clued me in. This is a hobby machine and l am not a pro mechanic but have been able to keep myself going since l was a teen. Im 66 now. Im new to this site any help would be appreciated. I think the joint has seized up or it came loose at the bottom. I will have to cut the hoses off to even start. Maybe somebody knows something l cant see for the oil and balled up hoses. Thank you
Welcome to HEF Chris . The bracket and hardware shown in the screenshot below keep the rotary manifold inner ”spool “ stationary. I suspect the bracket bolts broke or fell out and the hydraulic hoses took the grief. Does the machine have a blade ? .
Yes on the blade. With my brothers help we got it unwound. The rotating joint is not clocked in right. I have had it out before, its pitched around about 25 degrees. I not gone under it yet, just not into cold oily mud but l think thats what it will take. I suspect it came loose at the bottom, but dont seemed to have dropped down. I will start on it in the morning and just dig in. Is it possible that the joint seized and sheared the bolts maybe? Thanks for the quick response. I have never used a forum before so l am slow. Thank you very much.
Welcome! You'll find this forum to be a significant wealth of info and help. Don't be bashful about posting your questions here as the members won't be bashful about posting their responses...good and bad!
My gut feel is it didn’t seize. I can’t imagine anything catastrophic went on underneath. There are 3 lower bolts that hold the rotary manifold up in place and 7 (with a blade) healthy rigid steel pipes to help keep it there if the lower bolts did go missing.
After numerous rebuilds of rotary manifolds over 45 years…….I’ve never run into one that seized. 1st time for everything but I highly doubt it. Now…..as Dave said, the anchor bolts breaking or coming loose and falling out happens quite often.
Thanks to all. I will sleep better tonight. Im betting the bolts dropped out. Who kmows l could have left em loose when l put it together years ago. Hopefully l can help someone out down the road I thrive on junk, been around it all my life. Thanks again.
Is always nice when members post how they fixed a problem(s).
Thanks to all who replied. Got into her this morning and felt around in the oil and found the bracket that holds the joint to the upper. More fishing gave me a bolt that shook out. We clocked the upper back to the joint. Felt in for the bolt that broke the bracket and ran it out with my fingers. Its a great day. I expected to find travel and blade steel lines mangled. They weren't. All my abuse is going to cost me is hoses that needed replacing anyway, some time and half a welding rod. And oil. Thanks to all.Praise God and pray for America. We are back.
are those manifolds fairly easy to rebuild . I have one on a 270dlc that appears to be leaking
Good report! And even better results. Glad you found the cause and can fix it.
A 270DLC rotary manifold is very straight forward to rebuild . When installing the inner “spool”, orient the spool as close as you can where it needs to be as the spool can be very stiff to turn after the manifold is reinstalled in the machine.
You lucky SOB! Take some cash to the local casino while your luck is still holding up.