Has anyone here ever done the pins and bushings on the main swing pivot on a 710D? Mine are getting to the point i'd like to address them. Wondering what the best way to support the boom is. It almost seems like I would be able to *maybe* get enough slack in the hoses that I could support the boom and pull the machine forward enough to do the bushings? If anything moves even a little once I pull the pins it seems like it could be very hard to line things back up. Tips/tricks/comments?
I have done it a few times. Hopefully you can do it on a concrete floor or slab for stability. Extend the boom and dipper straight out. Doesn't seem to me that it makes any difference if the bucket is extended or rolled all the way in. I use an engine hoist connected at the boom and dipper pin to support the boom and make up and down adjustments as needed. You should have enough slack in all the hoses to move the tractor forward to get the pin out. I use a floor jack under the backhoe frame to make position adjustments. The handiest thing I use is an old pin that I ground the end of it down to create a taper on it. It looks a like a bullet. I drive it into the bushing (bore) and then follow it with the permanent pin. That method makes mounting buckets onto dipper a lot easier.
I thankfully do have cement to do this on. Also have a telehandler and a regular forklift to help support the boom. The boom is so large on a 710 its a little intimidating.
I curl the bucket up and it helps keep the boom more stable. Engine crane and floor jack make it pretty easy. You might be able to just push the boom to the side after the pins are out. Depending on how the hoses are routed you may have to remove some of them in order to pull the pins and/or remove and replace the bushings. Bushings are likely shrink fit. You'll probably need dry ice or even liquid nitrogen to install new bushings.