Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 990

JS580SL ยท 2008-04-29 10:12

Thought some might appreciate seeing this, I found it at my case dealer last month.

Replies21
  1. #1JS580SL2008-04-29 10:17

    Pics

  2. #2Tony2008-04-29 11:56

    JS580, Funny you show these pictures... I might assume that the dealer you saw this machine at may have sold it, as I just saw it about 2 weeks ago on a lowboy sitting at Exit 2 on I-84 in Danbury, CT, heading west. The thing was in remarkably good shape. I had seen tons of literature on this machine in the 80's, but this was the first time I ever saw one in the flesh. Looks like a 690B on steroids! Thanks for the pics, Tony

  3. #3Burnout2008-04-29 14:53

    That machine has been and still is on machinery trader for sale. They are a great machine to run. I took a burn in one at ritchie brothers once.... They are basically a 690B on steroids. And that V8 under the hood sounds amazing.

  4. #4dayexco2008-04-29 17:11

    house is on the wrong side!

  5. #5armadillo2008-05-01 00:24

    Could be my imagination but it looks like the stick has been reinforsed. (wish this post had spell check.)

  6. #6stuvecorp2008-05-01 01:19

    That excavator does look pretty for a old machine. I always wondered why on some of the older excavators or cranes is the cab on the other side?

  7. #7petersfamilytru2008-05-01 01:37

    First time I've ever seen a 990... The first excavator I ever operated was a JD 690B and the controls on that machine were out in front. The controls on the 990 look to be in their "modern" location! I suspect it's one slow excavator, but I'll bet it has lots of power! Great pics!

  8. #8joispoi2008-05-01 11:52

    British spec? :beatsme

  9. #9Burnout2008-05-01 15:13

    If your talking about how the stick steps down and then the triangle deal on the lower end of the stick, thats normal for them. It's because those sticks slip over the end of the boom instead of now how the booms split and slide over the stick. The one I tried at RB was actually fast for its age. It's a lot faster than a 235 of that era. One day I would loooove to own one. I would like to retire on a nice farm with an old 990, a 973 track loader, and an old International dozer.

  10. #10ZAXIS2008-05-01 16:55

    JS580SL, Thanks for the pic-the only one i have ever seen used to sit in Harrison, Ar on the side of the highway at an old gravel pit. Haven't been that way in a while so not sure if it is still there. ZAXIS

  11. #11Burnout2008-05-01 17:44

    Here's another one on machinery trader. Beautiful machine!

  12. #12JS580SL2008-05-02 17:38

    Thats the same machine, Brookside equipment must have bought it. It was at our case dealer.

  13. #13dayexco2008-05-02 17:39

    if i could lowboy up to haul that, wouldn't that make a great packwheel machine? look at the reach you got!

  14. #14joedirt2008-05-02 19:29

    Thanks for posting this JS580SL. I remember running these turkeys as a kid. We thought they were the cats meow back in the day. I haven't seen one in years. Thanks.. :usa

  15. #15Rockbreaker2008-05-03 01:25

    Saw one of these in Norway for some years back too. Was a company who had two of them in Oslo. Never seen them in action but i belive that they would move some dirt

  16. #16bobcat ron2008-05-03 10:06

    V-8 engine, like a diesel V-8 right?!!?

  17. #17Burnout2008-05-03 19:05

    Yeah its a 855cui V8 diesel JD played with in the 80's. The only 3 pieces of equipment that got it were the 990 Excavator, 844 Loader and the 8850 Ag Tractor.

  18. #18bobcat ron2008-05-03 21:07

    hmmmm, I wonder if KoO could drop it into his latest acquisition?

  19. #19Burnout2008-05-03 22:43

    Sure, except their a pretty rare engine. I know a lot of guys with the 8850's blow engines like crazy so now their swapping in N14 Cummins into the frames.

  20. #20WhyWhyZed2008-05-10 17:10

    We have one of those Deere V8's in a 300KVA Brown Boveri generator set too.

  21. #21OCR2008-05-13 16:44

    Hello all, We have a JD 8850 Ag tractor with the V, and my books show it as 955 cui. Hope this post is not inappropriate...first one. PS, If you have spelling problems, like I do, you might want to try ieSpell...seems to work OK on these forums.