On my 2554 I've got the battery indicator light on in cluster. I was told by the original owner that the Deere's they run often have the hour meters stop counting after a alternator failure. I've checked alternator output and it is within spec (approx 28.6v if I remember correctly). I don't like having warning lights on and the hour meter not reading kind of bothers me, anyone have any thoughts on where I could start? I would also like to track down service manuals for this machine (the operators manuals where missing when I purchased it as well), the service manual listed on the Deere bookstore is only $45 dollars so I'm thinking it's not what I'm looking for. Would be nice to learn to read trouble codes and do more thorough troubleshooting as the nearest Deere dealership is 4 hrs from my work area and I prefer to do most of my own wrenching.
Check the connection at the "W" terminal on the alternator to start with.
I checked the W connection on the alt, all good, I'll take my meter with me today and follow the wire back.
The W wire is an alternating current tap to run the tachometer. Do you have an original tachometer working in the dash? I don't know what kind of service manual that would be for $45 from Deere. Look for a "Operation and Test" manual for the diagnostics. And individual component repair manuals for the detailed repair instructions.
I believe that the w wire feeds current to the hour meter on these machines, no tachometer. I've got my hands full with this machine. Yesterday it blew it's second 1" travel motor hydraulic hose in 10 days, and now my IMAC HX40 grapple is giving me fits. It suddenly it lost almost all it's rotate torque and will not hold a load without basically freewheeling on the rotation. The grapple arms themselves are not acting normal either, they are not syncing like they should and leaking off when lifting a load. I think I lost an o-ring in the in head valve, CWS service tech thinks it may be the rotation motors (I sure hope not). The 2554 also just started a nasty control valve block leak, looks like I'll be splitting and re-sealing it asap, I've gone through more hydraulic oil in the last 3 weeks than I care to think about.
I found a broken wire coming from the alternator, I repaired it and still have the warning light and no hour meter.
An update, I've tacked down a charging issue caused by the voltage regulator on the 100 amp bosch alternator, had a brush hung up with crud. I repaired the reg and charging great, still have the battery indicator light on. So I test for continuity from the w terminal on the alt to the pin connector to the cab monitor, I have continuity. So now I'm assuming my monitor is the problem?