Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mystery piece

Standard ยท 2015-08-06 02:40

Anyone know what this is? Suspected a piece of logging equipment. Weighs about a ton. About 10 to 12 feet long. Welded heavy plate main part is curved as though to match a long log or other large cylindrical item. There is a hinged handle in the middle with different holes in the handle--suspect to be able to use different holes to balance. There is a loop with a small bit of chain on it in the rear right corner.

Replies6
  1. #1Scrub Puller2015-08-06 03:00

    Yair . . . Dunno Standard . At first glance to me it looks like some form of otter-board . . . they are used in pairs to spread trawl nets. It's curved the wrong way though . . . is there any trawl fishery in your area? Cheers.

  2. #2Tones2015-08-06 03:26

    My guess is its an inspection hatch off a boiler firebox. Is there any other old steam engine parts or machinery in the area?

  3. #3Scrub Puller2015-08-06 13:27

    Yair . . . With apologies to Standard for going off topic . . . Tones I can't open your message, something to do with cookie clutter on this computer, sorry can't reply. CXheers.

  4. #4markshr1512015-08-06 14:45

    The Handel looks like the Drew bar from a old tractor.

  5. #5callingtheshop2015-08-06 23:51

    Several years ago I came across this at Port Renfrew next to the river. I always wished that I had taken the time to put a line or chain on it and pulled it out. Probably an old block. I haven't got a clue what yours is.

  6. #6Tugger2015-08-08 11:26

    Id go with Scrub Puller . A Dragger door?