Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere high speed scaper ?

cummins05 ยท 2010-08-19 03:32

Guess it was only a matter of time before some one tried this.:Banghead YouTube - John Deere 764 HSD, high speed dozer- 13cu.yd Scraper Ashland

Replies46
  1. #1Aussie Leroy2010-08-19 05:30

    Tidy little unit from JD:drinkup

  2. #2cummins052010-08-19 05:40

    I dont really think it works very good for a scaper tractor myself

  3. #3245dlc2010-08-19 08:13

    Yeah it looked like it was almost stalling out when it was loading that scraper. I saw one of those dozer tractors things at Brandt a few days ago here in Winnipeg, they're not very big and I don't thing very heavy, it might work for stripping topsoil but I would be leary about using it for that too.

  4. #4DPete2010-08-19 09:50

    13 yards ? it's struggling to load and making the same cycle times as the scrapers hauling 2 or 3 times the material. How can that be cost effective, you also have 2 push cats in the cut that won't push it for fear of breaking something on it. No way is that machine making money in that vid. It's a high speed wannabe

  5. #5Bumpus2010-08-19 12:33

    . What I see is a guy that does not know how to load a scraper. Look at the beginning of the video how he is constantly moving the leaver up and down with his finger that operates the bowl. Instead of scraping he is always gouging the bowl which will not work very good on any kind of scraper. He is cutting to much and then raises out of the cut and then gouging and stalling because he is not educated on the purpose of how a scraper pan works. Watch people who know how to load, and there is a large difference. .

  6. #6DPete2010-08-19 12:38

    He has to pump the scraper to load because there isn't enough traction to do otherwise

  7. #7CM19952010-08-19 13:15

    Yeah, someone is trying to make this machine be something it's not. I hope the Fed Gov't doesn't see this video, they've wasted enough of our tax dollars.

  8. #8muzy2010-08-19 15:15

    quote Look at the beginning of the video how he is constantly moving the leaver up and down with his finger that operates the bowl. I agree he is uneducated in operating, but would go so far as to say the shape and size and design of controls do not promote good control. Over all the concept is interesting. High speed, kinda reminds me of what one "operator" considered himself. A high speed trimmer on a 627, that was a joke to watch. muzy

  9. #9245dlc2010-08-19 17:21

    I think that dozer, tractor, thingy would be better pulling discs or sheepsfoot rollers.

  10. #10buckfever2010-08-19 19:42

    talked to my local deere dealer and they said they won't even bring one in. to expensive and noone knows what the hell to do with it.

  11. #11CM19952010-08-19 20:23

    I know, I know..that's why I hope the Fed Gov't doesn't get wind of this. Although it would be nice to pick up a nice 4 year old one with 15 hours on it at a GSA auction. Seriously what is retail on one of those rigs?

  12. #12cummins052010-08-19 20:46

    380 thou CAN funds I hear not confirmed tho That is a high speed dozer it should be used for just that laying light things like 3/4 road crush at high speed.

  13. #13Dozerboy2010-08-19 20:59

    Might not be a bad machine to use around here. In with a fleet of pullpans we will run a mid size tractor pulling a small pan with a beegee behind it to clean up that haul roads and make a few loads with. That would work better then a beegee with a good hand at the seat. It could make a few loads and help finish too. Thats how they should of marketed it put a small finish scraper behind it to clean up wind rows.

  14. #14tonka2010-08-19 21:45

    someone's buying them...:beatsme

  15. #15Kman90902010-08-19 23:07

    Put Top cons 3d mc2 on one and that thing would come in handy for finishing long stretch's of slopes! Or say you were finishing a highway getting it to grade so they could come in and lay base rock, if you have had to finish a highway you know how it is some spots are high and some spots are low and you usualy have to finish with a dozer and a scraper, or blade and scraper, where with this machine you could cut out the high spots and if you had a low spot you could go get you a pan full of dirt!

  16. #16245dlc2010-08-19 23:11

    That's what a grader is for.

  17. #17cummins052010-08-20 15:50

    I agree with 245. some company had to try this but this is a fail in my books

  18. #18powerjoke2010-08-20 16:34

    I would buy one for $38k or maybe $80k, but not $380k lol. no thanks we get along just fine without it, I doubt it would be much of a "tractor" because of the rear engine, I would like to see a vid of this thing and a 550Quad with twin pans on the same site Pj

  19. #19Turbo218352010-08-20 17:34

    Whats the need for a high speed dozer for spreading road stone? Doesnt a grader already perform that job already?

  20. #20buckfever2010-08-20 18:26

    what about road side grading and large finnish grading jobs. if the tracks can holdup got to be cheaper then wear and tear on a steel undercarige.

  21. #21cummins052010-08-20 21:07

    I can see a dozer operator being able to jump on and run it so then you would need a less skilled operator ( not saying a cat skinner is not skilled) to get probably close to the same production. If this machine can do other light dozing it could also eliminate a small finish dozer on some jobs and you could not bring in a blade till the very end of the job if you even need a blade after the high speed dozer is done you could then maybe save the cost of two machines If I could not bring in a high priced blade with expensive operator I would.

  22. #22Kman90902010-08-21 00:39

    LOL ^^^There you go^^^ What didnt you get about my post??? When you finish main line on a highway some spots will be high and some will be low! I dont know about you but i have never seen a blade pulling a pan, where if he had a low spot in the highway he could just go pickup a load of dirt and dump it where he needed it or if he had a high spot he could just wind row it up and pick it up and take it some where for waste! You usualy have to have a blade and scraper or blade and dozer, where this machine elminates one machine and one operator!!! Think about it then post!

  23. #23Abscraperguy2010-08-21 01:53

    Just a question for all you experts. I do some refurbishing of used tow behind sheepsfoot packers and I do also build some new ones. I have this design for a double 60in with big transport wheels that I've got engineered and stress tested etc. I've never built any of those cuz I'm not sure what the market would be, but are there jobs where you wouldn't need a full blown packer or a dozer and the two of them would work well together? Lets hear what you have to say.

  24. #24cummins052010-08-21 01:58

    I ment as in the machine itself not pulling a pan. If you need a scraper to move your base gravel around (witch this machine is supposed to be marketed for) you kinda messed up on your spoting loads with the trucks. I personally have never seen a scraper having to pick up a windrow a blade has left. we usally lay clay to grade with a dozer witch we could do with this. all the blade does a a quick finish pass witch im sure the JDHSD could do then we lay base and spread it to final with the grader (no scraper needed if its low we dump a bit with the cross dumps. this machine with Gps is supposed to lay grade as close to a grader. So in theory you could leave the grader at home or bring it in for a smaller amount of time Here a grader with a good blade hand is a very pricey machine. I in no way would hook a pan to it for any of these jobs it could stay spreading what other machines have brought to it. So in my eyes this machine pulling a pan is unproductive thats my piont of veiw have yours. You could stand to be a little less arrogant with your response to people you would probably have a better time here on the forum. So really I got your post just don't see how this machine pulling a pan would be cost effective the way we do work.

  25. #25bigrus2010-08-21 07:14

    Those "expensive" rubber tracks have lost me straight away. Along with 8 large idlers to boot Might look good on paper/theory. ointhead Plus with the price of secondhand equipment at present

  26. #26CM19952010-08-21 10:19

    Yes we all have opinions and opinions are like..well we all know that phrase.:cool2 All members here on HEF need to respect others opinions and discuss it in a professional matter. You can disagree till the cows come home but do so respectfully. Carry on.

  27. #27245dlc2010-08-21 12:20

    I doubt if this thing would be worth the price tag, There are always used Challenger's and other tracked farm tractors around that could have a Degelman blade retrofitted for doing light dozer work as well the tractor could still be used to pull sheepsfoot packers, discs, and land leveller implements. And a lot of the big tracked farm tractors have a lot more horsepower.

  28. #28Bumpus2010-08-21 16:09

    . I guess others are doing it too. YouTube - Pull Scrapers .

  29. #29hvy 1ton2010-08-21 20:16

    That's a bell scraper tractor unloading after the quadtrac. They are built from the ADT parts bin and are more "construction grade" then the 4wd tractors.

  30. #30Kman90902010-08-21 20:21

    Well down here we have a tolerance of a hundreth before they will even let you lay base rock. We can get the whole mainline cut to within a tenth with GPS on the dozers, but we still have to come in with a milimeter system and cut it down to a hundreth. No GPS system can get it that close. And when you have 13 631's hauling to one D6 it makes it kind of hard for the dozerman to put everything right on grade, you have to leave everything high, because you have no idea how much they will compact a certain spot. And its much easier to cut it off then it is to have to haul it back in a recompact it. So then after you get done with your run, which today was about a mile, you have to go back threw and cut it to final grade, if the scrapers are done using the road! So today we had to use the 6 to cut it down a tenth after we got done with the 31's and had a john deerepick up the windrows from the 6, this machine would come in handy for doing that!

  31. #31Kman90902010-08-21 20:23

    And i dont know if any of you have worked around mud but when it comes to loading out mud the quadtrak design is hard to beat, a case quadtrack pulling one pan will go anywhere a wide pad 6 will!

  32. #32ConstSite2010-08-21 20:59

    Deere promoted this idea at the initial unveiling at Conexpo way back in 2008. These guys were definitely not the first. You can even see a bit of it in the video from the machine's introduction. YouTube - John Deere 764 HSD Bulldozer - Chris

  33. #33245dlc2010-08-22 00:09

    You notice how on those Miskin scraper videos and the John Deere video they're always working with nice dry dirt? You never see them working in heavy cohesive soils, like Manitoba gumbo, silt, or loon ****. (pardon my french if we're not allowed to swear lol) I wonder how well one of those Miskin scrapers would work here considering they dump like a dump truck instead of having an ejector like a garbage truck or a regular scraper.

  34. #34DPete2010-08-22 00:42

    Just have to put a hoe in the fill to unload em

  35. #35CM19952010-08-22 01:11

    Too what hundredth does the specifications require before you lay your base rock?

  36. #36Stump Knocker2010-08-22 09:33

    The stock pile in the video looked like the first one I ever made. ;-))

  37. #37Bumpus2010-08-22 10:45

    According to the video ... you can buy them with or without an ejector bowl. .

  38. #38Dozerboy2010-08-22 16:43

    We run plenty of those scrapers here and there a pain in gumbo. Good operators help but normally you just have to work the dirt that much more. Often you have to come to a complete stop or make more then one pass in the fill banging the can open. One reason also it might work ok here is you can't cut grade out here with a blade very often it mostly dozer work. Road projects where they lime and flyash the subgrade is the only place for a blade here.

  39. #39Kman90902010-08-22 21:08

    Has to be cut to within a hundreth of whatever grade is for that particular area! YouTube - Milimeter GPS For Paving Solutions Topcon from RDO Equipment Co.

  40. #40qball2010-08-22 21:46

    i can finish to a hundredth of a yard

  41. #41Kman90902010-08-23 00:12

    LOL Yeah in can really be a pain sometimes! My brothers usualy the one on the M blade cutting it to within a hundreth i dont wanna do it

  42. #42cummins052010-08-30 00:39

    Sorry im sure if Deere thought it would sell one more HSD they would point one nose up at the kennedy space centre launch pad and say it would launch itself to the moon and grade out the craters. :drinkup

  43. #43Vacherie Saint2010-09-01 15:11

    Guys, lets not get too excited here. Small scraper applications are just another selling feature for the HSD. Many contractors are using farm tractors on the job site to pull a disk, road maintainer, or a sheep's foot and this is a part of the market Deere would probably like to grab with this product. Its designed for light to intermediate dozing and NO one is promoting this as a comparable solution to heavy excavation. Heck, Deere doesn't even make a matched scraper for the HSD -- hence the Ashland toy on the back.

  44. #44Richardjw~2010-09-03 11:12

    Precisely! :drinkup Some folks cannot comprehend this point ointhead

  45. #45cummins052010-09-03 17:05

    We will see what this this is made of as of today ( deliverd dec 1) I own one along with a 872GP All I can say is it better get 5000 hours out of the tracks and 10,000 hours trouble free like Deere claims.

  46. #46JDOFMEMI2010-09-03 17:16

    On a recent trip I spotted what I think would be a very suitable scraper for the HSD. It was in the back of a farmers field, and looked pretty old, but it was a towed elevating scraper. With the finish ability of the HSD, I think the towed paddlewheel would be usefull. The one I saw was a little smaller than a 613 or JD762. I didn't have my camera or I would have gotten a quick picture of it.