Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts?

Burnout · 2010-08-16 02:43

The title says it all.... thoughts on this creation?

Replies78
  1. #1245dlc2010-08-16 09:53

    You mean other than cool? What's pulling it?

  2. #2Bumpus2010-08-16 10:30

    . Meet the brand new never before seen CAT D57T Yes you are looking at a twin engined dozer/scraper that actually steers with a steering wheel!!!!!! Scroll down the page for extra pictures. http://socalearthmovers.com/forum/index.php?topic=161.0 .

  3. #3245dlc2010-08-16 18:50

    Hey Alex can you post the pics on this forum so I don't have to join yet another forum about the same thing. As far as I can see it's just a large dozer I'm thinking D10 or D11 pulling a scraper with a powered rear axle.

  4. #4tonka2010-08-16 19:18

    when ya move it to another jobsite do you unhook the crawler?

  5. #5OCR2010-08-16 19:21

    Yeah... I'm gonna need a pass word manager, or something, pretty soon... 'sides, it'll up your post count. Eh?... OCR...

  6. #6alco2010-08-16 21:23

    I don't think you can really call it never before seen when there have been pictures posted of it for almost a month....lol.

  7. #7alco2010-08-16 21:27

    The tractor is a modified D10N. It has a G series scraper cab that is actually side mounted like a scraper tractor, and a hitch mounted where the dozer cab should be.

  8. #8245dlc2010-08-16 21:59

    Thanks Alco, I broke down and started a membership with that other forum so I could see, pretty impressive unit though, that might be the only version of the 657 that could work in Manitoba gumbo with out a Cat to push or pull it around. lol:tong

  9. #9DPete2010-08-16 22:30

    How about a better side view so we can see what it is?

  10. #10qball2010-08-16 23:06

    burnout, you are such a tease.

  11. #11Vantage_TeS2010-08-16 23:48

    Oops I think I was supposed to chime in right about now (don't worry you don't have to sign up for anything for my links): Annnnnnnnnnnnnd back to you Alex!

  12. #12Greg2010-08-17 00:31

    Somebody spent a pile of money to set this unit up. Is it Caterpillar production? Or aftermarket conversion, or somebody's own special build?

  13. #13Vantage_TeS2010-08-17 00:35

    A 657B and a D10N are cheap to come by. It looks like it's a fairly simple build, with parts you'd have around any sraper and dozer fleet. Don't get me wrong, this thing is a stroke of genius but it certainly didn't put them in the poorhouse. A lot of thinking and some fab time. This is a custom build.

  14. #14OCR2010-08-17 00:38

    Thank you Mr. Vantage_TeS, sir. Thoughts.... Hmmm... a steering wheel, eh? OCR...

  15. #15Vantage_TeS2010-08-17 00:47

    Give you a hint, it doesn't turn very far.

  16. #16cummins052010-08-17 01:37

    Cool sure just a glorified cat and can tho

  17. #17OCR2010-08-17 02:14

    Kinda figured that... Cat log skidders do, or did, steer the same way. That weird "airplane" steering wheel system on some of the loaders, works the same, probably... OCR

  18. #18bigrus2010-08-17 04:52

    ? Thoughts ? A picture from the front to the back would get some more 'thoughts' happening

  19. #19Bumpus2010-08-17 08:46

    Not trying to compete or through anyone of with a misleading statement. :umno I did not print it ... I just shared what someone else shared about a month ago. Could be off a week or two, but it doesn't really matter does it. :beatsme Another month from now it will be older news. :bouncegri :slomo :IMO .

  20. #20Vantage_TeS2010-08-17 23:51

    Moar? http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4900333494_fa42f70e2c_b.jpg http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4899737833_b98148ef4e_b.jpg

  21. #21Gavin84w2010-08-18 08:45

    Get some video soon men, can't be long now till it gets the paint knocked off in ernest.

  22. #22CM19952010-08-18 09:54

    I wonder if the D10 can take the added loads from the scraper neck or they had to beef up the superstructure?

  23. #23DPete2010-08-18 13:43

    Looks like they did a professional job, like to see it working

  24. #24ILLICEMAN2010-08-18 14:32

    Just a guess but I would say the steering came off a agri, cat tractor.All of the belted units had steering wheels.

  25. #25Tiny2010-08-18 18:36

    Ummm, Just a dumb old truck driver question......What advantage is there to a unit like that?? Seems like the cost of the undercarriage repairs would be more that the setup is worth....Just wondering. If ever stuck it would be... REALLY FREAKING STUCK.

  26. #26245dlc2010-08-18 19:08

    Tiny the advantages of a Cat and scraper are that they except for maybe ripping and getting unstuck would be that it never needs a push cat, it can load going uphill, trimming work is much simpler since the Cat doesn't bounce like a conventional rubber-tire buggy and it can work in wetter conditions than buggies, as well it could probably work in ground conditions like what we have in my area where we have heavy gumbo clay conditions.

  27. #27Tiny2010-08-18 19:12

    Thank You Mr 245dlc, That helps me understand.

  28. #28cummins052010-08-19 00:04

    Yep you really never see rubber tire scrapers here in MB That thing might be able to self load here LOL

  29. #29Burnout2010-08-19 00:13

    I doubt it's off a Challenger, anytime I have driven a challenger they react more like a crawler with diff steer. You can hear a hyd pump powing up one side to make them turn. 10N's are still brakes. I think I have a pretty good idea on how it works, but don't know exactly how much info they want out there.

  30. #30cummins052010-08-19 00:16

    Watch out Alex the ------ police will come get you LOL

  31. #31amtronic2010-08-21 11:38

    Want moar picks + video!! Very interesting marriage between the two units.

  32. #32245dlc2010-08-21 12:11

    Well there are a few, like I live in the Westwood area of Winnipeg and I'm kinda close to that centre port highway project and Beaudry's got a few single engine buggies there but they also have a D10 cushion dozer to load them and I think Hugh Munro Construction has a few 627's but I always see them sitting unless we've had a solid week of hot dry weather. However the D8's with scrapers are always on the go. They even have one of those K-Tec abortions where the scraper hooks up onto a fifth wheel on an articulated rock truck. I don't know who it belongs to but I never see it move.

  33. #33buckfever2010-08-21 18:21

    pans are about useless around here. rains 2-3 days a week. and they burn wayyyyyyyyyy to much fuel. saw a guy drive his 14 yard twin engine terex right to the scrap yard when price was high. can't get 10,000 for a good running scraper here.

  34. #34Dukey2010-08-21 19:14

    Yea, Caterpillar always welds old cutting edges to their pushblocks on their new scrapers before they send them out

  35. #35Dozerboy2010-08-22 16:56

    I think its bad ass and would love to take it for a spin. With the right set up they would work. If we can use then here there ain't many places they can't be used. You do see mostly pullpans though not scrapers.

  36. #36Vantage_TeS2010-08-22 19:04

    More tidbits: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4899760627_b92f3df36c_b.jpg http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4899757919_0c3541edb2_b.jpg As you can see, simple yet brilliant construction.

  37. #37Cat Wrench2010-08-22 22:01

    Nice first post! ointhead

  38. #38alco2010-08-22 22:37

    Any bets as to how long this guy lasts here Cat Wrench?

  39. #39Cat Wrench2010-08-22 23:13

    Hopefully he'll wait another 3 years before he posts again. He has been a member since April 07 but this was his first post. Back on topic; I don't know if this thing is useful but it sure is cool to look at.

  40. #40Vantage_TeS2010-08-22 23:56

    I think they'll need a few more where they are headed. I'm very familiar with the ground in that area and it amazes me they've gotten this far with their wheeled 57's. But then that's just part of the Prarie Mystery™

  41. #41Gavin84w2010-08-23 06:56

    Some of that Peterson legacy must have rubbed off on him down in California where this was built, modern day Buster Peterson i would say. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

  42. #42alco2010-08-23 08:05

    No real mystery there, Ron just knows how to move dirt.......lots of it, and fast.

  43. #43tctractors2010-08-23 15:08

    I dont want to say anything in a negative light on the D10 Combo, as I have not realy seen the BIG picture of how it has been hooked together in the neck area ???, but I feel the hitch used on a 491 Box, might have been a better chosen route, as a Ball and Socket hitch would make it run without any nasty moments, I hope Cat Wrench and Gavin can see what I am trying to pinpoint, as a tracked tractor always needs total free movement from rear equipment, the 830m/mb has a ball style coupling hitch, this would be the one to go for in my mind as the cross pin Gimble style hitch does not give full axis movement not wanting to sound a Nob, tctractors

  44. #44Vantage_TeS2010-09-04 14:52

    Oh snap another Burnout and Vantage production (and we didnt even light anything on fire this time): YouTube - The D57T Scraper

  45. #45cummins052010-09-04 18:00

    Im thinking Grader seat in that pig.

  46. #46YELLOMTLMILITIA2010-09-04 21:53

    Thats a pretty neat rig! I could see using a metering valve and steering wheel with a diff steer dozer but I cant figure out how that would work with steering clutches.

  47. #47245dlc2010-09-04 22:38

    I don't know if it's only good enough to overnight in, then I don't know if I want to operate it. But if it can be uprated to be "liveable" then maybe I'll try her out. Anyway I'm looking forward to a video of it operating.

  48. #48Gavin84w2010-09-05 06:01

    Realise what you are saying mate but i think there has had to be a bit of compromise here. Pretty sure he has picked up off the main frame where the posts for the ROPS goes and this gives a solid mount point for the hitch, his set up and height are most similar as can be to a regular 57 and i also think he has some reason for that. Sure the ball and socket works well with drawn scrapers like 491,s and even Big Mac,s former D11R/651 combo but they all had a dolly that the gooseneck went down to in affect to allow hook up on the std drawbar of the pull tractor. With the D57T set up if he wants to bury the bowl the chance of lifting the tractor up is minimal as compared to a drawn machine and this may well have been on his mind, they other thing could be he wanted limited amount of movement in that hitch area somewhere comparable to what a regular scraper has. I think Ron has had a good read of Eric Orlemanns book, "Caterpillar Chronicle" while on the turps one night and got inspired on the whole chapter about Buster Petersons creations and then saw the the picture of the D9G,s grafted underneath a Cat scraper in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" chapter at the back of the book and wulla, look what he came up with. Not to many innovators like this around any more and look forward to Burnouts and Vantagetes,s encounters with it.

  49. #49245dlc2010-09-05 12:59

    I think Ron has had a good read of Eric Orlemanns book, "Caterpillar Chronicle" while on the turps one night and got inspired on the whole chapter about Buster Petersons creations and then saw the the picture of the D9G,s grafted underneath a Cat scraper in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" chapter at the back of the book and wulla, look what he came up with. I love that book. I think I've got most of his books and Keith Haddock's books too.

  50. #50tctractors2010-09-06 15:31

    Good bit of script there Gavin, thanks for the trouble, you have to admire the thought gone into the outfit, the reduced hight of the tractor due to the repositioning of the Cab makes it hard to get a true scale on the Banger' I still think a ball/socket style hitch in the same location would be the route to go, but then thats "me" and I never copped the job of building the outfit, we all do things in our own way, it just strikes me that that style hitch was a design for over hung scrapers, at some point or other a lot of stress load is going to poke its way through a bit of Iron when the ground contours start to climb or drop steeply, please dont think I am trying to be negative about a great combo, thats had some fantastic and very neat construction in its coming together, but the style of hitch just scared me a good bit, I still have not seen a good shot of this area, but near 40 years of Tractor+Box (Pan) and Motor Scraper work sort of gives you idea's, mostly bad ones, lets hope I have it totaly wrong, and it all Fly's. blowing it on tctractors

  51. #51YELLOMTLMILITIA2010-09-06 16:10

    Ive never had the opportunity to be around any gooseneck hitch type tractors but I have dealt with neck pin issues and after paying a someone to linebore the neck on a couple of scrapers I think anything would be cheaper and better than a pinned neck. Everytime i look at a scraper neck I cringe!

  52. #52Vantage_TeS2010-09-06 23:59

    Word has it Diggin' Ditchin' n Bitchin' Productions has video of this beast running, Alex to follow with more in this late developing story...

  53. #53EGS2010-09-07 19:05

    I think that would be a good set-up in short/wet jobs.

  54. #54Vantage_TeS2010-09-07 20:57

    That's exactly what the job they built it for is.

  55. #55hvy 1ton2010-09-08 00:07

    That was just mean.

  56. #56Burnout2010-09-08 20:49

    So you saw the video then? lol

  57. #57JDOFMEMI2010-09-08 21:08

    On the hitch issue, I suspect that available parts had something to do with how it ended up. With scrapers as cheap as they are now, and a ready supply of nearly dead units, it is cheap and easy to come up with parts for a project, but a suitable sized ball and socket arrangement is not something that is going to be found laying around in and amonst all the parts in the scrapyard. I agree that in my opinion that would be a better set up, but I am also pretty sure it will work just fine as it is. Now if we can just get something out of DD&B productions of the beast WORKING, not just running. lol

  58. #58Vantage_TeS2010-09-09 12:41

    Its currently monsooning out and putting a kibosh on any sort of dirt moving activities. I couldnt even make it up our gravel access road.

  59. #59tctractors2010-09-09 15:20

    JDOFMEMI, I had a good look around my Junk Yard today, sadly there was no D10's or 657's snoozing, so all things based on what's about, they managed to get a sharp and possibly very handy bit of Kit screwed together, in true Buster Peterson style, someone has to build the first one, having the odd D10 hanging about is not the common thing in the U.K. you would be hard pressed to find a D4 handy to be chopped about and have a hump stuck on its back. blowing it on tctractors

  60. #60Burnout2010-09-09 16:28

    Up here I think more than a few companies have an old D10 kicking around in the boneyard. Just today I saw a D10 sitting in a little gravel yard in the middle of the city.

  61. #61qball2010-09-09 20:18

    i doubt there are 4 d-10's within 150 miles of me. not including the factory

  62. #62Burnout2010-09-09 22:12

    I can think of at least 5 within 15 miles of me :drinkup

  63. #63EGS2010-09-09 23:52

    I would bet there is. We have some, H. James, Hoffman and Ames all have some within 150 of you.

  64. #64tctractors2010-09-10 02:53

    Just thought I would say, I have now seen some good shots of the Neck Hitch area now, it look a Creme de-la Month job, nothing like an overhung scraper hitch at the base. tctractors

  65. #65627E master2010-09-11 18:28

    Wow, its a monster. I think I have a pretty good idea how it steers. Any horse power change in the tractor? or still 520

  66. #66Vantage_TeS2010-10-01 00:55

    I may or may not be in the process of uploading a video of this thing cruising around

  67. #67ScottAR2010-10-01 14:22

    ya big tease...

  68. #68Gavin84w2010-10-02 07:24

    Sounds like you are taking off Pinochio in Shrek!!!!

  69. #69JDOFMEMI2010-10-02 12:35

    Looks like "May not be" is winning the fight right now:drinkup

  70. #70Vantage_TeS2010-10-03 00:32

    Youtube is having some technical issues (mostly because every time they have something working "just right" the feel the need to change everything around) but I think I've found a way around the bug for now. The video finally got kicked over to live status after 2 days of waiting. YouTube - D57T Prowling The Swamp *HD*

  71. #71Dozerboy2010-10-03 15:24

    Man that thing is cool any chance you could get a closer shot?

  72. #72JDOFMEMI2010-10-03 22:20

    Many thanks for answering our requests. Looks like the beast is doing what it was made to. Working in some pretty muddy conditions. I would like to see a standard 657 run in there with it. Then I am sure we could see the difference. It is running nice 4 minute rounds, so nothing to complain about.

  73. #73shooterm2010-10-04 06:46

    Dont really get the reason behind new production dozer pulled scraper. Doesnt everyone want speed considering you shouldnt be pushing the scraper that long? So did they make a finish scraper .

  74. #74tctractors2010-10-04 15:09

    The more I see it the better it gets for me, the concept is first class, the front engine combined with a good poke from the back motor must realy give it " The Beans " tractor and box work made easy, a great bit of thinking. tctractors

  75. #75245dlc2010-10-04 21:17

    A conventional rubber-tire scraper or even a scraper pulled by an ag-tractor would have great difficulty getting into the swampy wet **** that thing can get into and out of. Dozer pulled scrapers are still very popular here where I live as they are often the only thing that will work during a wet year (which we've had a lot of the last few years). I think here though a D10/57 would be a little to much on the heavy side to work effectively but I'd be happy to have somebody prove me wrong. But a D7 or D8 pulling a scraper works very well here and also trim better than a 627 or other comparable rubber-tire machine. And if you have a short haul then a high speed machine isn't as important.

  76. #76Vantage_TeS2010-10-04 22:58

    It's not meant to be a high speed production machine, it's meant to be used in a very specific area where other machines can't get in and move the dirt where it needs to go. Do you lose production by not being able to rip around? No because any other machine wouldn't be moving in there, it would be stuck. It wasn't made to compete with wheel-tractor scrapers it was made to do things they can't.

  77. #77Kman90902010-10-09 21:37

    If it was designed for swampy conditions why not just use quad tracs for that? Ive seen quad tracs go places you couldnt go with a D8 much less a D10 pulling a 657 scrapper. Bw good on a rock drop though.

  78. #78alco2010-10-09 22:19

    It wasn't designed just for swampy conditions. It was designed and built as a pioneering machine to go into an area that a buggy couldn't run in and make it accessible for them to follow. In this case, it's the wet conditions that make the area inaccessible, so it's being used to open it up. But it was also meant to be used in very rough terrain , to get things ready for the scraper fleet.