Hi All, I have a Deere JD770G grader, with a section of worn out Circle drive teeth. I have established that there are two options, Option 1 is to replace the complete Circle drive frame, and Option 2 is to cut out and replace segments of worn teeth. Has anyone had any experience with this repair that will help with my choiuce of options
I'd see if JD offers replacement sections of the circle teeth. Cat does. Can you post a pic. of the worn teeth? As was mentioned in the other thread you may be able to build the worn teeth back up with weld. If that's possible you can use special welding rods that won't mushroom like standard rods. I'd need to see some pics. but it might be possible to exchange the worn section with a good section on a part of the circle that is never or rarely used like turning the moldboard completely around 180 deg's.
Facebook Cutting Edge in Australia did a video, might help you decide. Facebook www.facebook.com That isn't much help, it's you tube with the video Joe H
On fire welding YouTube, shows how they do it, quite impressive to the least, fast, cheers
Deere used to offer a section about 2 feet long but it would probably be better to build the worn teeth up and grind them down to match the other teeth. You can trace a pattern of the good teeth and cut it out to fit them so you can grind the worn ones down to match. I don't know if you should use hard facing rods or not.
Not hardfacing rods. Build up rods that are used for fusion welding. They are medium hardness that doesn't squish out/ mushroom from impact or pounding. Might cost a little but would be the best option. 7018 would be the cheaper option and work OK.
The final result depends on your patients and skill with a grinder. You don't have to build it back to new, you just have to make it good enough to work. I'll guess it won't take a lot of work to make it good enough to outlast the next failure point. I've welded multiple ring gears on flex plates with a coat hanger and acetylene torch. 2 or 3 teeth was all it would take to get another year out of it.
What happened, what did you decide? Joe H
Do you have any specific examples of the type of rods you are referring to?
This or an equivalent from a specialty rod supplier. Lincoln has a build up rod too. Second line has a comparison chart. https://esab.com/ca/nam_en/products-solutions/product/filler-metals/hardfacing/stick-electrodes-smaw/stoody-build-up-lh/ https://ch-delivery.lincolnelectric.com/api/public/content/4e3b4dddafc24107b77b3a431fcd39c5?v=2a722417