I think I’m going to start looking for either a Deere or Case 350 dozer. Main use will be cutting ATV trails around my property and some driveway shaping, as well as other minor projects. Is one brand preferable over the other? What can I expect to pay for a 350? It’d be nice to find one with a winch but I’m not going to get picky.
The 350 deere is a bit bigger. I think around the C models were wet clutches and not dry clutches. How far away are the dealers?
Dealers for Case and Deere Industrial is about 30 mins. away. We have an independent heavy equipment service/Parts outfit about 10 min. away.
Check on parts availability. I know some are no longer available from JD. The JD's were known for reversers leaking into the tranny and some bolts coming loose. You might want to consider a skid steer instead or look at a Cat D3. Cat will have parts available.
I’m afraid that a Cat D3 is going to be more expensive than I’d be willing to spend. Not sure if a skid-steer would be good for cutting trails thru the woods.
A Cat may be more expensive but if the JD goes down and you can't get parts or it's too expensive to fix, you're even worse off. I had an 87 335D JD loader and that's how I know some parts are obsolete. What kind of budget do you have?
Maybe around $10k.
This caught my eye, near me but a long ways from you: http://shopping.rollanet.org/category/368/Farm-Equipment/listings/1372585/JD-350c-Dozer.html Personally, I think that's way high on the price, all things considered. Looks in decent shape, but looks don't always count for much. I have an aging 350 (letterless) JD crawler loader and so far haven't had much trouble finding parts. What my local dealer doesn't have, Lavoy at JDCrawlers ( http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=3 ) or Zimmerman's ( http://www.crawlerbulldozer.com/default.htm ) has. The JD 350s were commonly used by conservation and forestry departments for firefighting--they made a LOT of them. Here's another one: https://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/d/john-deere-350-dozer/6407564419.html Look at the third photo--had to throw this one in for a laugh! That dozer's not house trained! But, if cash was not an issue, I'd go the Cat route...!
had a jd 350b not much for dirt moveing but handy for small work. komatsu might work also. d20 manuel shift vs d21 power shift. traded up to a d39p, many times more power (even though its just double) and handles like a dream.
Found this one on C-list. 5,200 hours. Says it’s in really good shape. It’s a gasser tho. What do y’all think?
Keep in mind that's a manual "6-way" blade. You can adjust tilt and angle, but if you're doing driveway shaping and trail building, it might be a bit of a pain. Using my 350 loader to work on trails is a pain because I can't tilt the bucket (at least not side-to-side). Don't know how much of a difference that makes to you--but should be a consideration. Also--it has no rops or cage of any sort. If you are working in brush or trees, be exceedingly careful. It's easy to get slapped, run through, or have a dead limb fall on your head.... Don't be afraid of the gasser--mine is gas and it starts instantly in all weather. But--for anyone who has one of these three cylinder Deere gas engines--I highly recommend converting to an electronic ignition and a high energy coil. Mine starts instantly, regardless of the weather. Huge difference. There are also many things to check on the frame--bolts broken or missing, and so forth that give a good indication of general condition. At least it doesn't look beat-up like many of that vintage! That sheet-metal hood is usually in a lot worse shape. What's the asking price? I'm going to hazard a guess that if it's a dealer (as it appears) they'd want in the $7,500 ball park. Private, more like $5,500. Any service history, records? One last thought--if it's in your area then it's been for sale for awhile. That isn't a December photograph!!! Looks more like May or June to me (grass isn't too out-of-hand).
good review from Jim. this one is older than 350b i had. manuel steering clutches need regular attension. its gunna have manuel main clutch vs 350b had hydraulic reverser. jd has parts for older machines but some are discountinued, did buy some parts after market and some from jd ag if you have part number but dont tell them its for industrial use, compairable parts are 50% higher. its gunna take some personal tinkering with if you are up to the challenge. again Jim nailed it good.
Thanks for the info. They’re asking $8,500 o.b.o. Are there any bolts in particular to inspect that break. It must be a common problem for these models because it did say in the ad that there are no broken bolts.
bolts on the side rails have slight tapers behind heads, they get loose in the side rails. look for worn holes, slight rust also indicates movement. also the blade mounts to outside of track rails check there also. mine (diesel)went for 78 about 3 years ago. had rebuilt engine, steering clutches and brakes(more than once) blade pivots and cylinders etc. with 10k budget might wanna look for something a little newer. any brand you buy of that vintage expect to make repairs if you use it, and if you hire out for repairs it will put a damper on vacation spending.