hi guy's I have a 329D working in heavy conditions manly on rock with a track life of about 450 to 500hrs and came to the conclusion the rear idlers are the problem getting rocks between the track and the idler causing the track to chop out where the carrier roller runs I thought about putting a 279C cat rear idler on instead of using deere rear idler has anyone tried this and or will it work
Yair . . . I have no knowledge of the little rubber tracked jiggers whatever but have often though that a set of rock-guards similar to those fitted to a conventional crawler may keep some of the crap out of there . . . or it may hold it in and cause more damage. Has anyone tried? Cheers.
Deere was having problems with both rear idlers and tracks. Make sure you do your homework on your replacement track choice Deere has since updated their tracks and we are seeing good life from them. The rear idlers were cracking for no apparent reason, make sure they are good. I would also confirm track tension as this is critical on any tracked machine. You should be getting around 1500 hours maybe a little less due to the rock but 450 hours is no good. I haven't seen any rock guards for rubber tracked loaders as they were designed for working in the mud. Most people run wheeled machines in rock. What size of rock are you running on?
deere idlers I thought about rock gaurds but cause too many other problems. the size rock I work in is 40mm minus often crush concrete I check the tension regarly and replaced rear idlers at 900hrs when oem track failed I've been using McLaren nextgen tdf tracks to no joy the guy's I work for will not allow wheel skid steers on the job, with the replace tracks i'll go back to oem. I had a ider completely crack 500 hrs ago that's partly why I came up with the idea using a cat rear idler that runs in the centre instead of running on the rubber any ideas about it is most welcome!
I have a CT322, no idler issues, but my program as far as tracks is that I bought 1 good new set, then I hit ebay and craigslist once a week or so looking for used tracks, when I find a decent pair I snatch them up and put them on the yard... when I'm on a job for a week or two in rough conditions I stick one of them on and save my good pair for good conditions. I know it seems like a lot of work, but it's really only about 25-30 minutes and I don't waste 1800.00 pairs of tracks prematurely.
That a good idea that loader is only home every couple months if lucky
I have never done a set of tracks on a Deere mtl before but if you can swap a set out in 25-30 minutes I would say your very speedy at it. I know it would be way longer for the machines I have done.
Yeh it takes me nearly 2 hrs with help by time you take out the front Idler clean it all out
I push up a speed bump of dirt, run the machine over it so it rocks forward, release the tensioners, push them all the way back with a pinch bar, stick some blocks, a log, or a small boulder under the rear end of the frame, turn the bucket down and lift the front off of the ground which causes the back to become suspended on the cribbing ect. then work it like a giant tire, I get the sprocket off last, and put the new track under the bottom first, then over the sprocket so that I have the aid of using the drive to manipulate the track. It's also key, after you get to a certain point, if you're doing it my way to lower the machine back down so that all of the hanging slack moves to the top side of the track. I haven't ever done it by myself, but I've done it many times with one laborer, if a tensioner is stubborn it might take an hour, but not usually any more than that. I don't pull everything out and clean it every time though, I just pressure wash occasionally. This is all on a Ct322, T190 class machine mind you... I wouldn't attempt a T300 class machine without a mini ex around to do the handling, but with a mini it usually goes even faster...
Yair . . . Acivil probably a silly question but why do good used tracks turn up on craigslist or ebay? Cheers.