Anyone here have a preferred provider for full length cutting edges for loaders? I am looking to overhaul the donor tractor loader bucket on my old Allis, is just a GP but has been abused. I am going to order AR steel thru a local metals supply shop but the edge materials they have in catalog just isn't heavy enough, more for skid steer type buckets. I am looking for 1" thick x 10" width x 84" overall bucket width and will have to weld the corners in as extra panels if a rolled corner edge is no longer available. Dave
Do you mean a bucket lip..?
For all purposes yes. The original is almost completely gone, been hacked on with a gas axe, had bobcat sized bucket teeth welded to it, just a mess with all the contact plating under the bucket either cracking or rubbed thru.
Hi dmiller I refer to them as a base edge and everyone seems to recognize what I'm talking about when ordering them. In northeast pa our local cat and John deere dealer both offer after market bucket rebuilding componets seems to be most convenient for me. Last one priced was for a 973 66g s/n was a base edge drilled for bolt on shanks $ 750 on stock order hope this helps
headOne thought is whether to go bolt on or Weld on shanks I prefer weldons to bolt ons I find over time the edge wearing under the shank. then people tightening Up bolts with out " fitting " the edge to match shank thickness. This causes unwanted clamping force that leads to shank failure. Sounds simple but can be hard for some to see the difference between clamping torque and a preloaded stress point. might be a little over thought for your application but better to think about it sooner than later.
Will keep that in mind, Cat rep here sent me to BYG's site, when did not receive many responses called Fabick CAT out of curiosity, have quite a lot of material to sort thru but found the edge and corners I can use. Have old bolt on teeth from a 955H series in excellent shape I bought from a fella some months ago, should work nicely on the edge found. 25mm thick 254mm wide just a little longer than bucket width and predrilled to fit the teeth bases I already have, they also have the correct plow bolts. Already purchased AR steel plates to restore the belly of the bucket, then to work on the sides and add wall thickness, then it should be functional once again. Figuring to take a few days of steady work with stick welding.
:thumbsupSounds like it's all coming together to have a nice Bucket. If you have the time put some hard facing on and it will stay rebuilt for many oil changes.
Wanna sell the 955 edge lol mine is gone but I think it is to the point of just finding a different bucket. The bottom has been torn out 2x and repaired and in some spots it is worn almost through. Since I'm not in TC's neck of the woods that old dinosaur isn't worth putting much time and money into Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk