Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere won’t start?

Bandit44 ยท 2008-08-07 22:40

This morning I went to crank the dozer and it turns over but will not start, I don't think it is getting any fuel. I was told it could be several things, fuel injector solenoid, blown fuse for the solenoid, and another fuse in the main connection. I tried every fuse and connection and found nothing blown. Before I was going to give up and go to the house I tried it and started right up and I ran it several hours until it started raining. Went back this evening and guess what it won't start. Any suggestions what might be the problem or what to check before I call an expert$$$$$$$$$. This is a 2004 550H John Deere dozer.

Replies4
  1. #1CascadeScaper2008-08-08 01:11

    Sounds like a bad ground somewhere, I'd put money on it.

  2. #2OCR2008-08-08 02:28

    Sure could be a bad ground... does your engine have an ECM? If it does... see if you have any fault codes showing... if you see a fault code, and have a book that explains them... it should tell you exactly what's wrong... usually . OCR

  3. #3headwrench2008-08-08 11:31

    first when it wont start check to see if you have power to the fuel shutoff solenoid. if no power start tracing the circuit back there probably is a relay also.get yourself a schematic if thre is no power.

  4. #4Bandit442008-08-08 20:50

    I think I have found the cause of my problems. After checking everything else I think the problem was that the air vent hole in the fuel cap was clogged with dirt and dust. I had noticed the last few times I had put fuel in it when the cap was removed you could hear air being sucked into the tank. I think the vacuum while it sat over night would make it lose its fuel prime and that is why it wound not start. After cleaning the vent hole out with air I have not had any problem with it cranking and now when the cap is removed no air is being sucked into the tank. Wish I would have checked that first. Thanks for the other suggestions I tried them all.