Does anybody know what the operating temperature range on a D6M XL transmission should be? My trans temp alarm is going off but when I shoot the back of the transmission with a heat gun/sensor I'm only 220F at the hottest spot I can find. That seems to be in range to me.
They should not be any hotter than the water temperature in your engine. I've been told oil starts to breakdown when the temperature gets over 200 degrees F. for any amount of time. It sounds to me like you got a problem. Good Luck
not exactly true. The gauge on a 6m reads converter outlet temperature, which when the converter is loaded is going to be hot, as the oil leaves the converter and goes through the cooler and returns to the sump it is cooled down, once the oil is heated in the sump (operating temp) then the oil will be around water temp, because that is as low as it can be cooled via the engine cooling system. The mid point for the gauge is 224* F, Red zone is 264* F, and the max is 284* So if you have a sump temp of 220 I'd say you are doing good. however if your torque converter is making heat then the gauge will read higher under load, especially stall.
Reason for synthetic oils. It would be the TC output line to shoot the temp at, if they have such thing. A large case will reject heat. So you must have a guage or sensor problem.
Thanks all. Apparently there is an update (CAT Mandated) that addresses the problem of incorrect sonsor readings. It appears to be an electrical problem that requires the installation of a capacitor. The update bulletin is not general but takes effect "upon failure". Hope this helps anybody else runs into this problem.