Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Definitely Not for me………………….

stock ยท 2012-10-30 08:07

Setting up some new ski slopes with a D6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGNaFMpv_KI&feature=player_embedded

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies15
  1. #1robin yates uk2012-10-30 09:12

    he is roped safely so no problem expected,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

  2. #2DPete2012-10-30 10:05

    I'd rather be on the yo yo than backing up the loaded artic to the edge of the abyss.

  3. #3390eric2012-10-30 12:26

    Thats how i would feel hopefully the brakes are good on the artic. Think the only thing that would bug me is having to wait for the long pull back up the hill. Cant even imagine going down that slope on skis tho, wow. That takes some nerve.

  4. #4vapor3002012-10-30 12:56

    the dozer goin down the hill dont look like much, But there is no way in id wanna back that truck up F THAT!

  5. #5ben46a2012-10-30 20:14

    Looks like a highjump. Surprised its all rock fill instead of dirt. Dozer would likely back up on dirt. Certainley wouldn't be too fussy about backing up on the rock tho!

  6. #6lectro882012-10-30 22:06

    would definitely have pucker factor on backing up truck, stuck dump gate would suck. and at that angle on dozer seems staying in seat would be a challange even with seat belt.

  7. #7willie592012-10-30 23:54

    Agree with others, the dozer ain't no big deal, but backing up that artic truck, heck, I'm just sitting on my couch watching the vid and my butt drawed up so tight you couldn't drive a nail in it with a sledge hammer.

  8. #8OCR2012-10-31 04:03

    LOL... you and old Sky King would make good partners... :tong OCR...

  9. #9JDOFMEMI2012-10-31 20:20

    That is not bad. Myself and one of my lead operators have done quarry slopes that were taller and just as steep. It was dirt, and no cable needed, but it was a long round trip with a wide track D-6H. The Volvo backing up to dump I did not think was bad, until he gave it the last 4 feet or so. That seemd to me to be farther than he needed to go. I would definately want to have a truck new enough to be in great condition, but with enough hours on it to have the bugs worked out. I sure would not want to be hauling sticky material and dumping like that. That rock slid right out though. The one I like best is the snowcat with the on board winch. I have seen some crazy slopes they run on held up with that cable. Hats off to a couple of experienced guys putting their iron to the test.

  10. #10Scrub Puller2012-10-31 20:34

    Yair . . . I have to ask . . . why doesn't the D6 turn and come up frontwards? Cheers.

  11. #11JDOFMEMI2012-10-31 20:41

    Scrub I would say because the cable is hooked at the rear. Also, he is able to keep the slope nice and clean. I know reversing up steep slopes puts a lot of extra wear on things, but to complete many a task it is done that way. I have spent many days on D-8's and D-9's pushing downhill as steep as I was able to back up. Most passes were not to the bottom, only the finish passes were, so there is no way to turn around.

  12. #12Scrub Puller2012-10-31 23:39

    Yair . . . Gotcha there JDOFMEMI . I have done the same thing. It's a matter of how the job is set up. I've done the tethered thing and it can be a PITA although I must say (for the camera) those blokes are coordinated well. It's difficult to be objective without seeing the job and knowing operating and finish parameters. To me it looks as if a dedicated "haul road" was established for the six he'd make it back up unassisted. Poking about over here I see a lot of unnescessary ******** going on in this modern day and age of dozers being tied of to excavators clearing pipeline right of ways . . . I suppose all part of the over the top "safety first" sickness being discussed on another thread. It seems folks have never seen a D7 backsteering down a rocky spur with ten or fifteen cubes of Blue gum log up its arse. Cheers.

  13. #13D6 Merv2012-11-01 00:48

    yeah know what ya mean scrub. Did alot of scrub crushing on stuff steeper than that. Is ok with a full blade load of rubbish in front of you as long as you know where your coming out at the bottom; not into a swamp. I like that fancy winch tractor at the top, seems to be able to self spool itself from a different poistion to the D6. Easier with the block too to do this. Is alot easier than having to line up the 2 machines with a normal winch rope to spool properly with 2 tractors yoyoing. I used to be cunning with the steep logging and logs. Leave logs on top of hill; let out 200 odd ft of rope and go downhill in 1st gear then lock brake and go like hell in 2nd to beat them to the bottom, again ok if you have plenty of room to runout with the dzr. only had ps. dd might be different, have to get into the right cog ! whats 15 cube of gum weigh ?

  14. #14Scrub Puller2012-11-01 03:12

    Yair . . . Guday Merv We were hauling on private and forrestry so I'm not too sure of weights . . . never realy did all that much logging but blue gum, ironbark and such like hardwoods must come in at over a thousand Kg a cubic meter--heavier than water. A beautiful big stick of iron bark got away from me one afternoon and did a bit of "scrub rolling" down the ridge and I can tell you for sure and for certain that when it hit the river the sucker didn't float. Cheers

  15. #15Dualie2012-11-18 21:41

    I was thinking the same thing. My second thought is their artic drivers must be way better than the idiots we have around here.