Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deisel question

Komar ยท 2006-01-10 11:07

I just bought a truck that has a tranfer tank in it. It is filled with oil as it was used to service equipment. I want to use it for diesel and have pumped the oil out of it. My question is, how clean do I need to get the inside of the tank. With the residual oil affect the diesel? Thanks for any help. While I'm here I have one more loading question. I have an 86 Eager Beaver 10 ton beaver tail and a 94 JD 410D. Every time I load and unload the bottom of the hoe scrapes the ground. It scrapes enough to take chunks out of ashalt. What is a cure for this? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1xkvator2006-01-10 16:43

    ...back it on :bouncegri

  2. #2Steve Frazier2006-01-10 16:46

    How many gallons is the bulk tank you're using? As long as there's no sludge in the bottom, I wouldn't worry much about the residual motor oil left behind, it won't harm anything. What part of your hoe is actually hitting? Can you swing the boom to one side to avoid the problem, or is it the lower frame work that's hitting? If it's the frame work, you'll need to make the ramps longer to reduce the loading angle, either with blocks and Boards, or having longer ramps fabbed up. You could also switch to low profile tires to lower the deck height if you're not already equipped with them.

  3. #3salesrep2006-01-10 20:21

    "How many gallons is the bulk tank you're using? As long as there's no sludge in the bottom, I wouldn't worry much about the residual motor oil left behind, it won't harm anything." Ditto : if the tank is of any size at all.

  4. #4Bob Horrell2006-01-10 21:16

    Try putting a piece of 2X12 under your ramps at the end to see if it stops your tail dragging (it makes the angle of the ramps less steep). You would be suprised how a little block of wood can make such a big difference.

  5. #5RonG2006-01-11 05:52

    Make sure your rear tire pressure is up as well and have the boom tucked up tight and locked until you are ready to tie it down.The Eager Beaver will also have stands under the ramps when they are flipped down,make sure they are in good repair and also check that your tongue height is not too high on the trailer.Tire pressure on the trailer is important as well.Ron G

  6. #6RonG2006-01-12 05:50

    My comment on the tongue height was misleading,in fact higher is better to give a more shallow ramp to load/unload on.Ron G