Not sure if this is this right place to post this, but here it goes. My boss is selling a commercial building with 5 old storage trailers behind it. The buyer want them gone. He had a guy coming to give a price on demo and hauling away, but I don't know if something got crossed up in scheduling or what, because he never showed up. Anyway, it got me too thinking that there has to be someone with a demo business on here close enough and looking for work. If so, pm and I'll get you in touch with my him. Job details below (all that I know at this point, haven't seen the site) On RT 17M in Goshen NY Has a rough access driveway, either dirt or stone, but in poor shape. Not easily passable with a car, but alright with a truck. Don't know what deal the new buyer is going to look for, but there may be the possibility of giving them a quote for fixing the driveway. Not much room to get past the building to the back where the trailers are. Not sure how they got back there, but plan on not fitting trucks or cans past as a worst case scenario. Trailers are not road worthy and partially sunk into the ground. Typical semi-trailer, with wood/fiberglass sides and steel frame. I'm assuming they are empty, but this may not be accurate. Scrap steel would be yours to figure into price. Two scrap yards within 30 minutes.
any pics?
Not yet. I may have a chance to look at the site in a day or two.
Ok cool, so your saying you cant get around the building with a turck to pull the trailers out of there? Whats the address so we can see it on google earth?
I'm told that the trailers are in too poor of shape to be moved and that it was a tight squeeze with just a box truck between trees and the building. I will try to get good pictures and measure the space myself when I can make it over there. I also don't have the address yet, sorry I'm not much help, I just found out about this job this afternoon.
cool cool
I uploaded some pictures here http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh84/Mojave_Magic/Trailer Demo Location on Google Maps here http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=41.397713,-74.363365&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=41.397584,-74.36137&sspn=0.007445,0.013937&ie=UTF8&ll=41.397329,-74.362593&spn=0.001861,0.003484&t=h&z=19 I'll post the panoramic shot and screen shot from Google Maps here since they give a nice over view of the job. The rest are at the link above. As you'll see, the parking lot and driveway are actually paved not dirt like I thought they were. The path around the back of the building is firm ground and passable with a machine, but not a dump truck or roll off. The corner of the building is a pretty tight squeeze, but not terrible. I measured 11-12 feet before you hit a hill. However, due to the grade and roof overhang, it isn't a very usable 12 feet if that makes sense. The trailers are in awful shape. Definitely no moving them. One is 18-20 feet and the other 4 are 28-30, so not quite as much steel as I thought, but still a sizable chunk I'm sure. Most of the shell has been removed from them a while ago, so I'm thinking one 20-30 yard can is plenty for the non metal stuff. There's a spot in the parking lot where a roll off truck could easily get in and drop a can. It would be a little bit away from the tight corner of the building and unfortunately somewhat far away from the trailers. A low bed isn't going to make it up the driveway though, so anything on tracks will need wood thrown ahead of it to protect the pavement after unloading in the street and climbing up the somewhat steep driveway. If I had to do this job, and it may come to that if he gets a ridiculous price, here's my options. The only machine I found for rent with a shear after a quick search is a PC 300. Way too big and $2100 for the day and $500 round trip to move after permits and stuff, but beggars can't be picky. I would also bring in a skid steer with a grapple bucket or 4n1 to shuttle the garbage and scrap metal to the dumpsters, probably about $6-700 for the skid steer after transport figured in. Guessing maybe $6-700 for each can brought on site and hauled away. Value for total scrap is unknown due to size of the trailers, I really don't have a good guess for what they weigh. Hopefully this helps shed some more light on the job for anyone thinking of taking it on.
did you find someone to do this job?
They had two guys give a quote. One was the guy that originally never showed up. He came in at $6,000 + whatever the scrap metal ends up bringing. Another guy came and gave a quote of $1,200 + scrap. Pretty sure he got it and as long as he doesn't drag his feet, I think this was a fair bid. Both quotes were based on torching the frames, so not much in the way of big equipment being brought in.
Why didnt you bid on it? Nice little 420 job!
The equipment belongs to the family business not me, so it's not really my call. Really it's more used for fixing up our property before selling than actual work, since the business doesn't do much anymore (more of a hobby than business anyway). It would have been listed for sale, except that the bottom dropped out of the market about the time we were going to put it up for sale and it just didn't make sense to lose a ton of money and then have to rent stuff for little projects throughout the year to get the house ready to sell. On top of all the, I have a somewhat regular job working for the guy that owns the property with the trailers. It's a new business he started about 3 months ago and work is the typical feast of famine, so there wouldn't be a real good time to plan this job in. We could have done it if no one bid on it, but that was really a worst case plan. Sorry for the book:Banghead