Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Demolition of the Historic Savoy Hotel in Houston

Dozerboy ยท 2009-10-06 19:49

Wolf PMed me about this and I though I missed it since I was out of town. I lucked out and it was delayed until last weekend. After the owner took over the demo contract since the city was going have it done for safety issues. Lots of brick has been falling off it and it has gotten a lot worse since Hurricane Ike last year. The roof and several floor have collapsed. The north side is braced up against a parking garage next to it. The Savoy was built in 1906 and was Houston's first luxury residential highrise. It had electricity, steam heat, dumbwaiters from each apartment, refrigeration system, and a roof terrace. In the 1950s it became a boarding house. In 1966 they added on to the Savoy and built Savoy-Field. It was suppose to have offices, hotels, and apartments. The offices went undone and the apartments in the old savoy where closed in 1970s.The hotel closed in 1988 after being used for South Texas College of Law Students. The newer sections ground floor was going to become a club but went undone. I guess the power it still on and all kind of paper work was left behind even a working TV. Only the old savoy is going to be demoed. Here is a brochure from Savoy-Field and some more current pics. The Harris County Appraisal District values the building at just $100. Lol damn what a steal. Some pics from some nut job that went inside it a few year ago.

Replies15
  1. #1Dozerboy2009-10-06 19:55

    2 more then my pics

  2. #2Dozerboy2009-10-06 20:01

    The high reach hoe is a PC600, PC300 with a thumb, and WA loader.

  3. #3rino14942009-10-06 20:08

    sweet pics Are they gonna build something else ?

  4. #4Dozerboy2009-10-06 20:12

    The newer part of the savoy and the parking garage you can see some for the bracing. Another side: Bracing and the side of the build that was about to collapse that they pushed in before really getting started.

  5. #5Dozerboy2009-10-06 20:17

    Few more them moving the 600 around to the other side.

  6. #6Dozerboy2009-10-06 20:21

    More... tired yet?

  7. #7tonka2009-10-06 20:22

    :beatsmewhats the plastic inside the endumps do/for? Great pics BTW!!!!

  8. #8Turbo218352009-10-06 20:55

    Im thinking they are considering all material as asbestos containing materials. I know around here, even if it is a covered dumpster, and the ACM is in bags, you still line the box with plastic.

  9. #9tonka2009-10-06 20:58

    Yeah thats what i was thinking too, but i wasn't sure.

  10. #10ScottAR2009-10-07 00:18

    Asbestos... Possibly lead paint dust... Something that old contains all sorts of hazardous materials. Kinda surprising some history group didn't demonstrate or something.

  11. #11Steve Frazier2009-10-07 00:33

    It looks like it was an elegant building in it's day, it's too bad it couldn't have been preserved before it deteriorated so far. You won't see that architecture again.

  12. #12tonka2009-10-07 13:26

    ***sorry for the hijack*** I have it on good athority that there is going to be a 10 story building that is going to be imploded on the oct 25th in San Angelo TX, by Lindamood demolition. ok cary on....

  13. #13heavylift2009-10-08 20:23

    that's pretty cool hoe..... recliner .... you definately have to get a good nights sleep ... I ran a 600 but not in the air... asbestos abatement is pretty much a joke here... wrap it plactic then pulverize it with a dozer at the dump.. They had a building imploded around here years ago.... i watched it on the news.. I knew what happens about 10 seconds later... several thousand people covered with who know what...

  14. #14Dozerboy2009-10-10 22:11

    The last few I took

  15. #15Wolf2009-10-22 19:13

    great pics of the Savoy, Dozerboy. Did you get to meet up with any of Cherry's guys? they hiring at all?