Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Interstae 80 rehabilitation.

oakland ยท 2009-10-11 01:35

Interstate 80 rehabilitation. Hey everybody! My grandparents just returned from Grass valley, California. They ran into a ton of construction on I-80 from Winnemucca,Nevada to the California border. They are re-paving the freeway with concrete and asphalt. hope you enjoy the pictures!

Replies27
  1. #1oakland2009-10-11 01:41

    one of the multiple batch plant's on the project.

  2. #2oakland2009-10-11 01:45

    more equipment...

  3. #3oakland2009-10-11 01:49

    A water tank, A barrier mover, And more.

  4. #4oakland2009-10-11 01:55

    Cold planer, Broom's, And more.

  5. #5oakland2009-10-11 01:59

    More cold planer's. And another batch plant.

  6. #6oakland2009-10-11 02:01

    more will be uploaded tomorrow, my internet is not working :Banghead:beatsme

  7. #7oakland2009-10-11 02:08

    More construction!

  8. #8oakland2009-10-11 15:16

    More profilers.

  9. #9oakland2009-10-11 15:18

    More paving work.

  10. #10oakland2009-10-11 15:22

    More paving, and an accident.

  11. #11oakland2009-10-11 15:25

    More road work...

  12. #12oakland2009-10-11 15:29

    Another batch plant.

  13. #13oakland2009-10-11 15:32

    Some of the concrete paver,

  14. #14oakland2009-10-11 15:34

    Wet concrete.

  15. #15oakland2009-10-11 15:37

    More of one of the batch plants.

  16. #16surfer-joe2009-10-11 16:09

    The section of interstate 80 east of Sacramento was, in all likelyhood, the worst pavement we drove on anywhere in the United States or Canada last summer. Most of the pavement thorough the mountains is concrete, which would not be my first choice for an area that has a lot of water and freezing conditions. On the other hand, the truck tire chains required in the winter cut deep ruts in the concrete and would likely do even worse damage to asphalt. I'm glad to see that the states and the Feds coughed up the funding to repair and rebuild the section. It was badly needed.

  17. #17JDOFMEMI2009-10-12 00:16

    Thanks for the pictures. You posted nearly enough to make a person feel like he was really there. I haven't drove 80 E of Sac, but I would vote I-5 as one of the worst. Over the grapevine is horrible with broken and sunken slabs everywhere. I hit so hard it knocked my mirrors out of whack, and made my sunvisors drop. I have never had that happen on an interstate hiway before. I-5 through Stockton and on up to Sacramento was almost as bad also.

  18. #18ddigger2009-10-13 11:50

    I cleared a good portion of that job, from Truckee, Ca. Heading west bound.

  19. #19gr792009-10-13 13:26

    NIce pics well done Current construction equipment and great background scenery. Was out west on vac Sept/Oct 1974. Bring back memories. Wish i would have taken a lot more pictures of just plain everything during that 6 week drive. Current common sights, viewed years later, seem more vivid like old family photos and video. Reading descriptions are valuable and enhance viewing the pics, as are the added posts. Rare sights to us midwesterners or anybody: another's far away daily world from the worker's viewpoint, not TV.

  20. #20Cat is ALL2009-10-15 11:08

    How many tph is that A&K asphalt plant, do you know?

  21. #21Bellboy2009-10-15 11:28

    Wow Oakland... If it weren't for the bullnose trucks and the American flags everywhere, I'd swear those pics were taken just below Van Reenen's Pass, on one of our national roads, the N3 in SA!!!

  22. #22oakland2009-10-15 21:23

    Thanks every body for the kind comments, i am very proud with the way these pictures turned out. CAT is ALL- I am not sure on the TPH of the plant but will do my best too find out. Bell boy- Thanks! if i had gone to the wedding i would have never left, their would be many many more pictures LOL! surfer joe- yes that area was some of the worst if not the worst that i have ever had the pleasure of driving on. JDOFMEMI- Thanks alot, wish we could have gotten more of some of the equipment. thanks again everyone!

  23. #23Bellboy2009-10-16 10:12

    Do tell about the wedding?

  24. #24oakland2009-10-16 20:03

    I have very limited knowledge of the wedding because I stayed here, so really i do not know much about it. but had I gone I would have gladly just stayed in Nevada and took pictures the whole time. But I did'nt, I wish their was that much stuff on our projects here but their very rarely is.

  25. #25Lashlander2009-10-20 09:32

    That's quite a batch of pictures Oakland. I built fence for the BLM all around Winnemucca. That was back in the 70's. Doesn't look like it's changed any. I have to wonder how some people come up with the name for their companies?

  26. #26Geraldes2009-10-20 10:30

    Nice pics! I see a lot of Cat paving equipment, is that common in the US? In Holland there is very little paving equipment from Cat.

  27. #27oakland2009-10-21 20:28

    Thank you everyone for the nice reply's Geraldes- It is very common around in this area to see CAT paving equipment. I have never seen a volvo paver but i know they are very common in other parts of the country. here their is most often a CAT paver followed by a CAT double drum roller and an ingersoll-rand single drum roller. lashlander- thankyou, i agree on the naming of companies i have no idea how they come up with some of their names. :drinkup