What is a rough rule of thumb that the average piece of equipment drops each year? I mean like after 4 years is it 50%? I know conditions or hours / mileage play a role in value. Do you think it varies much between a telehander, dozer, backhoe, or a crane? I just watched a 2002 Gradall 45' 9000 lb. telehandler go for $13,200 on ebay. It had 3400 hr + - which to me is average or even less than average hrs for a machine of this age. Machine was clean looking from photos and from a rental company. Seemed like a give away as the machine new now would cost 80-85,000. I see similar machines on Machinery Trader in the 29-36,000 range in similar condition, Thanks for any insight. john
General rule of thumb is 20% the first year and 5% thereafter to five years. I usually only use that as a check when I see real odd auction and for sale results. Many machines will come out different depending on use, size of the machine, number in the market and of course market conditions. Right now market conditions are poor and going down hill.
With the recession in construction, there´s a lot of iron that´s not getting used. A lot of which is going up for sale. There are a lot of sellers and not so many buyers. This is hurting the resale value on used equipment. Typically, ebay prices are lower than market value. It´s a good place for someone who needs quick cash to have a fire sale.
the price they got for the forklift was sure a fire sale at 13,200 someone is smiling.
A fair price is the result of what $ someone is prepared to sell for and what $ someone is prepared to pay. Although "fair" can stick in your throat if applied to a $650 roadside tire repair, supply and demand I guess.
I just think putting it up with no reserve is crazy it could have even went for less on ebay.