Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Desperately seeking Cat 320D track info

Wibble ยท 2016-02-20 02:10

Can someone (I wonder who that could be) please help to clear up an issue with needed new tracks for a CAT 320D s/n CAT320DAFAL05965. I have a supplier telling me that the machine was shod with 49 pads originally and yet the workshop swears that there are only 45. The local CAT dealer says he has new tracks with 49 pads and just needs to take a few out to make things fit. I know that there are different dimensions in tracks that have been used for these diggers but which ones are the correct specs so that I get the right set sent to us. I desperately need to clear things up and will be ecstatic if someone might be able to tell me as much as possible about what the machine left the factory with. Is it a done thing on the forum to ask where best parts suppliers can be found? A million times thank you in advance for any help afforded. My very best, Martin

Replies6
  1. #1big ben2016-02-20 03:19

    As far as I can tell its 45. Is no one close enough to the machine to count them ?

  2. #2Cmark2016-02-20 03:33

    45 links for a 320D. 49 links would be for a 320DL

  3. #3Wibble2016-02-20 03:44

    Thank you both big ben 'n Cmark , They've been counted at 45, what I have to be 100% sure of is the dimensions on the links, pins, etc. Would the dimensions on the attached document be the same for the 45 pad type and the 49 pad type. I have seen in other documents on the net that these dimensions do change. Is there any chance of taking delivery of a track that's not going to fit the drive sprocket.

  4. #4Cmark2016-02-20 04:25

    They should all be the same pitch, 7.5"

  5. #5jprefect2016-02-20 06:43

    Worse case could just count how many you have.

  6. #6Nige2016-02-20 10:15

    CMark's spot on. 45 links for a standard machine, 49 links for a long undercarriage (which yours isn't). Your particular machine was shipped with 2 x 194-1920 Track Groups - one for each side obviously ..... Said track group consists of a 194-1609 Link As (chain) plus 45 126-5062 Track Shoes. Bolts (180) are 9W-3619, Nuts (ditto) are 9W-3361. Regarding what you've been offered what strikes me straight off is that all the measurements are in metric, I guess obviously because it's made in Italy. However the metric measurements on that document are not exactly equivalent to the Imperial measurements of the OEM track chains. An example, the pitch is specified as 190mm, or 7.48". The metric equivalent of the OEM link pitch measurement of 7.5" is actually 190.501mm. Other measurements on your document come out the same way. So you have to ask the supplier are these chains manufactured to the exact Metric measurements listed on the drawing, or are the given measurements simply metric approximations to the OEM Imperial measurements..? Also I'll throw in here the suggestion that you should consider what your usage of this excavator is. If it's a hobby machine then anything could be fine for replacement undercarriage. However if it's a production machine then it deserves something better than you're currently considering IMHO. The better option will be undoubtedly more expensive but it ought to be more trouble-free and more durable long-term.