Can someone explain how the destroke solenoid works. We have a JD 410C backhoe. Its extremely hard to start in the cold. When I relieve the hydraulic pressure,usually by pulling back on the loader control lever, it helps tremendously. I tested the wires that plug into the solenoid on the main pump, it has power when the key is put to the "on" position. Then I believe it has no power,to the wires, when I turn the key to crank the engine. Can someone explain the operation of this solenoid/valve. Thank you
There is a lot information in earlier posts about JD destroke solenoids. I came up with this in search for DESTROKE here on the forums. HeavyEquipmentForums
The destroke solenoid should be energized only when the starter is, or in other words when the key is in the "start" position. There should be no power to the destroke solenoid when the key is selected to off or on - only the start circuit. You can run a wire from the starter solenoid (small post that is energized when the starter is activated) to the destroke solenoid and that should do it.
leisure has it right, there should only be power to the solenoid when it is in the start postion, not when on or off. I'd double check that and try to correct your wiring/relay/ignition switch issue if that is the problem, or run the wire from the starter. If the electrical turns out to be functioning correctly, then the destroke solenoid could be stuck or burned out, you can check the ohms without removing it, if it's open (infinite ohms) then the coil is burned out. The book says to turn the ignition to on and jumper from the fuel solenoid to the white wire to the destroke solenoid and you should hear a click. Book also says that leaving the power applied will damage the solenoid so that may have happened.