And it's frozen!. whats the best way to free it up? I'm hoping it's just on the low pressure side? should I just remove all the lines and bring them into the shop to heat up? I replaced the Lift pump thinking it was gone since I couldn't get any fuel up to the filters to find the lower inline filter frozen up? Is there an additive I should use in the winter? It's been -25C here for the last 3 days.. Last question is there a Cold start System on these Old Cummins (87 580K)? When it's near or below 0 even with the tractor plugged in for a few hours it won't start with out ether. Thanks
Fueling up every evening when you shut down helps prevent water in the tank. STUMP KNOCKER
Short of using #1 fuel I have had the best luck with Howe's. They say that you cannot do harm by over-dosing, and I have even refilled fuel filters with straight Howe's when I have had gelling problems. Oxbow
Is it frozen (water) or is the fuel gelled? You know you need #1 diesel in winter? Summer fuel is #2 and is thicker and will gel sooner than #1 fuel will. Kleenflo Diesel Fuel conditioner seems to be the most common product to keep water out of your fuel system. If the fuel is gelled you can tarp over your machine and heat up the engine and fuel tank with a tiger torch or other propane heater placed under the oil pan. Make sure to keep an eye on the heater so you don't cause a fire. If you have all #2 fuel in the tank you may want to pump it out and save it for warmer weather,replacing it with #1. If your tank is low you may be ok to fill it with #1. If you have ice blocking the fuel lines some heat will help the fuel conditioner get through, some boiling water poured over the outside may do it, also check the filters or any low spot in the fuel lines where water may have accumulated and froze. Welcome to the great white north.
I'm pretty sure it's frozen water, it was quite hard. How/where would I get different types of Diesel? ,, I just go to the gas station and fill up my jugs There's only 1 pump with a Green handle!? Do gas stations switch fuels in winter? I plan on going out this weekend and removing the steel lines from the tank to the Lift pump and warming them up. If that doesn't work I will tarp it like you suggest and run a heater under it. This is my 1st diesel so I'm defiantly on the learning curve. Thanks