Hello everybody. I was wondering if anybody knew the following information regarding the CAT 315D for a Trade School Project: - When it was invented and first put to use - If it's still commonly used or mainly retired - What type of work it is commonly used for specifically since every excavator has some differences in purpose - The areas of weakness susceptible to breakdown - Components that are design-defective - What parts are prone to frequent maintenance and/or replacement I have been searching for this information myself with minimal luck thus far so if anybody here can let me know or even link some sources I will be really grateful. I am also going to post an image of the VIN to help. Thank you my friends.
That particular machine left the production line in Japan on 22nd of April 2008. The As-Built consist is attached. The 315D was the last of the 315 line to be built. It disappeared in 2008 along with a lot of the 12-18 ton models in the Cat excavator Product Line. If you want a copy of the Operation & Maintenance Manual it can be downloaded from Cat for US$66. I can walk you through the procedure if you want. I'll let the excavator experts chime in with answers to your other questions.
The D model was just an upgrade from the C model. It had a new software package and plenty of changes in the emissions package. The house was a standard size excavator type with the counterweight hanging outside of the tracks when the machine was swing over the side. All excavators have been going to the reduced tail swing or zero tail swing starting in that time frame so I suspect that might be the reason it faded out. My YouTube channel has videos showing how to access the diagnostic menus in both the C and D model Cats. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ZtvgWG-EtmGZhvtMeBMEQ