Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Detroit 6V92 Somebody please explain this…!!!!!

Brodiesel ยท 2017-04-25 19:37

Somebody please explain this...came from a 6V92 I saw a couple days ago...

Replies6
  1. #1Vetech632017-04-25 20:22

    Seen antifreeze do that to engine oil. Liner or head gasket orings, split liner, etc.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2017-04-25 22:42

    I had a rocker stud or something in that area push out of one dropping a good amount of coolant. Luckily we caught it before it tore up the engine.

  3. #3Vetech632017-04-26 08:01

    They usually never get that bad. That sludge gets into the dipstick tube and gives a false reading on the dipstick. Along with those false readings goes extended run times on the engine oil. The last engine I tore down that did this was a total loss.

  4. #4kshansen2017-04-26 08:54

    We had it's little brother, I believe it was either a 3 or 4-53 almost that bad, but at least the oil was cleaner when it happened. Instead of being black it was just a dark brown! It was actually NOT an engine problem, this engine ran a water pump and it turned out the seal on the pump had failed. The pump ran unattended to control flooding in a quarry pit so no one was around when the seal failed. If memory is right the engine actually survived the mess. Seems I recall cleaning all the gunk out we could and then just doing a couple oil changes till the oil looked like oil again.

  5. #5fast_st2017-04-26 09:50

    New Detroit Diesel Nev-r-leak oil ? Maybe no thermostat, water build up

  6. #6Brodiesel2017-04-26 21:37

    Yeah this engine is a loss the customer had to send another core.