Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Detroit Troubleshooting

alaskaforby4 ยท 2013-09-10 20:13

So I'm driving down the road and she just dies. No symptoms whatsoever. Its a 1984 Western Star with a 8V92 Silver series. I've checked my fuel filters they are good. I am getting good fuel all the way through the motor and out the return line. I have Smoke coming out of the exhaust while cranking. If I spray a little ether the cranking speeds up considerably so I figure I have air flow. It does not have a emergency shut down on the air intake. I also changed both air filters this spring. It has a pull-to-kill shut off that is against the stops in order to run. Im at a loss, I just changed the lifter pump hoping that might do something...but nothing. Any ideas or insight would greatly be appreciated!

Replies33
  1. #1Oxbow2013-09-10 20:35

    I thought all 2 stroke detroits had an emergency shut down flap, but if it doesn't, and you have smoke coming out of the stacks, I might be inclined to see if a rag or something was in between the air filter and intake. The only thing that will stop those old girls is usually lack of fuel or lack of air, unless something happened with the timing. Sorry alaskaforby4, but I can't help beyond that. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable folks will have some ideas.

  2. #2willie592013-09-10 20:36

    If you're certain it's not an emergency shut down plate issue, a possibility is that it's ripped out the splines of the shaft that drives the blower. No blower=no run. Remove the intake pipe on top of the blower and see if the blower is turning when you crank the engine.

  3. #3alaskaforby42013-09-10 20:38

    Is there a shut off here that I am missing?

  4. #4mitch5042013-09-10 21:13

    A lot of the later turbo models didn't have a shutdown flap for some reason, I had a '91 or '92 3-53T that didn't. I'm with Willie check the blower splines, then pull a valve cover and check the rack.

  5. #5willie592013-09-10 21:15

    I thought about the rack not working mitch, but considering it wouldn't even run on a snort of starting fluid, sounds like she ain't breathing.

  6. #6td25c2013-09-10 21:28

    With the kill knob pulled Put a piece of plywood over the turbo screen & have a buddy crank the engine over .Should suck it tight to the turbo if the blower is turning.

  7. #7alaskaforby42013-09-10 21:47

    I have Suction on turbo screen!

  8. #8willie592013-09-10 21:47

    Good idea td25c. :notworthy

  9. #9willie592013-09-10 21:52

    I reckon the next thing is pull a valve cover like mitch said and see if the fuel rack moves and the valves move when cranking.

  10. #10td25c2013-09-10 22:24

    Agree with Mitch & willie .Check the rack under the valve cover. Could even be at the governor. May have to pull the top off & see that a pin dident fall out of the linkage & shut the engine down.I've seen some stange things shut an engine down all the sudden.My old FWD truck shut down on me going home one evening with the 6-V 53 engine. Culprit was a small piece of limestone stuck in the ellbo of the drop tube in the fuel tank.How the hell dose a piece of road gravel get in the tank then get sucked up the drop tube:beatsme

  11. #11alaskaforby42013-09-10 23:53

    The rack was not moving due to a couple injectors that were jammed shut. So I pulled em out, any idea on where to get some info like a book on the timing tool needed to re-install them? and thanks for the help guys, my other truck has a Cummins and the injection pump went out of it. Its quick fall time here in Alaska and we are jammin trying to get all these jobs done.....now my trucks both quit on me! guess if it was easy everyone would do it.

  12. #12willie592013-09-11 00:00

    I see you're from Alaska, well, that's a big state that ranges from all the comforts of life to absolute wilderness, I hope you have a good injection pump shop in your area. If so, they should have the valve lash tool for setting the injectors as well as re-man injectors. Hopefully you can get some local help. My concern is the engine wouldn't fire off using starting fluid. What motor oil are you using in that engine?

  13. #13alaskaforby42013-09-11 00:24

    Yeah we have all those people but its a couple hour drive one way, guess I'll be heading there again tomorrow. I was using Carquest 15-40 but went through a turbo earlier in the year on the cummins and decided to just go ahead and spend the extra pennies for Delo 400. Which I am running in everything now. When I would push the throttle the rack itself wouldnt move until we freed that injector...im wondering if the rack had just cut the fuel to everything and wedged itself there..

  14. #14Plant Fitter2013-09-11 06:09

    Delo 400 is a multigrade? Detroit 2 strokes should have a monograde oil, either 30 weight or 40 weight. Lucky it didn't wedge the rack in the full fuel position............

  15. #15Plant Fitter2013-09-11 06:13

    If you have the measurement for the height, you can just use a vernier caliper to set them up, you don't need the timing tool. Turn the engine until the exhaust valves for that cylinder are open, and adjust the injector to the correct height.

  16. #16Tyler10222013-09-11 11:03

    can you still get delo 100 I have not see it any where in a while.

  17. #17kshansen2013-09-11 13:06

    Delo 400 IS available in straight weights. At least it is in my hand book from 2002! We have bought Delvac 1240 from our Mobil oil distributer a couple times this year for a couple 53 series engines.

  18. #18willie592013-09-11 19:39

    Delo 400 is available in SAE40, but it does not meet the sulphated ash spec required by the Detroit two stroke engine. Delo 100 meets the proper specs for these engines and should be used instead of Delo 400. Delo 100 is still out there, just have to find a distributor that can order it as most places no longer stock the product. > http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...-1_-1&mn=Chevron(R)&mc=CHV&pt=N0422&ppt=C0162

  19. #19td25c2013-09-11 20:32

    Found this in the Detroit Diesel 92 manual alaskaforby4 .

  20. #20kshansen2013-09-12 08:54

    I did some further digging and see that even though my Chevron/Texaco hand book does say the Delo400 meets Detroit two-stroke reomendations it is right on the border for the sulfated ash level. Did find an online Detroit oil and fuel paper at: http://brandon314.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/detroitdiesel_lube-oil-fuel-requirements.pdf

  21. #21alaskaforby42013-09-13 01:30

    Thanks for all the help guys. I slapped that new injector in there and she runs like a champ. This is my 4th season with the truck and apparently it has never let the rack on one side open more than half way. Its like a whole new truck! Lots of power. Thanks!

  22. #22kshansen2013-09-13 07:48

    Now don't do like a guy I knew years back. Friend did a tune up on another guys car. Then this guy goes and gets a speeding ticket while enjoying the new found power!

  23. #23bill onthehill2013-09-13 19:54

    Heck, it is a Detroit! He will get a ticket for disturbing the wildlife with it.

  24. #24kshansen2013-09-14 07:36

    One man's noise is another man's music!

  25. #25timmi2013-09-17 04:56

    Be sure to get the correct oil put in her. Pacific Power Products has Detroit 2 cycle oil in 30 and 40wt. Available from either store, anchorage or Fairbanks. They have the injectors and injector height timing tools too. 15w40 oil doesn't hold up well in 2 strokes.

  26. #26Birken Vogt2013-09-18 23:28

    I don't think there is a single thing you can say that "all 2 stroke Detroits" ever had, there were so many variations.

  27. #27willie592013-09-18 23:47

    LoL, have to agree with ya there Birken Vogt, more flavors than Baskin Robbins ice cream.

  28. #28Brandt2013-11-01 22:09

    Good thread! What oil do I run in a 4-71??

  29. #29td25c2013-11-01 23:01

    LOL Brandt.. At my first job "boss" unloads his lawn tractor & tells me to change oil & grease it. I ask him what type of oil he wants in it? He turns around & says " Just put something thats slick in it " LOL. I use straight 30 wieght shell rotella in my Detroits. Its pretty "slick"

  30. #30Oxbow2013-11-02 09:38

    As Willie mentioned earlier in this thread Delo 100 30W is a good oil for all the Detroit 2-strokes.

  31. #31Birken Vogt2013-11-02 11:56

    Delo 100 straight 40 is the first choice. You might have to order it. Delo 400 is available in straight 40 or straight 30 if you can't find the 40. Finding a straight weight is more important than meeting the sulfated ash. As somebody else mentioned, sulfated ash is getting lower these days because of the DPF requirements on modern engines. If you have to run 15W-40, then cut your oil change intervals way short. They do not like 15W-40.

  32. #32Brandt2013-11-03 21:34

    Thanx guys. Good thing I saw this thread. I am religious about synthetic oil. Now I know to get and keep another oil on the shelf.

  33. #33Birken Vogt2013-11-04 11:21

    Using synthetic might extend your range of possible oil choices, but that is just speculation on my part.