Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deutz 1011 Motor Starts then Off Starts Then Off Then Starts Stays On…

Parts ยท 2020-08-17 14:59

I am baffled. Please see if any of this makes sense: Have a 1011 Deutz 4 cylinder (non-turbo) in my machine. When I first got it there was a no start situation. At first I removed the fuel shutoff solenoid and that did not fix the no-start so I bolted the solenoid back in. I put in a lift pump, new inline filter before pump, new spin on fuel filter, and new return lines. Machine started after this. The issue I have is if I turn the key to start it will produce nice healthy black smoke and you think its gonna stay on but instead it turns off. Turn to start again and it turns off. Now if you turn to start and hold the key on start for about 3 seconds AFTER the engine starts running then the engine stays on. Once turned on the engine does not skip a beat...smooth and strong. I can't figure out what it could be. It shuts off fine with the key so I don't think its a shutoff solenoid issue...but could it be? Could it be the fuel rack? Could it be some sort of oil pressure switch trying to shut it down as its first trying to fire? Any tips on what to bypass while diagnosing is appreciated. Thanks all.

Replies3
  1. #1JL Sargent2020-08-22 08:44

    I don't know your engine or injector pump, but some fuel solenoids have two circuits. One is the pull in and the other is a hold. Your symptoms would have me looking at the hold circuit on the solenoid if that machine has one.

  2. #2Bls repair2020-08-22 12:27

    May be losing fuel prime . Check fittings are tight ,cracks in fuel line.

  3. #3Jonas3022020-08-22 12:41

    Sounds like there is a murphy switch that you need to hold in to start until oil pressure is reached https://www.finditparts.com/product...MIxab815-v6wIVNx6tBh121AKhEAQYASABEgLIqvD_BwE