I ended up buying the 883. Its the hardest starting Deutz I've ever seen. On a 45F day, it took a minute of cranking to get it to light off. Not sure if glow plugs are working but it shouldn't matter...My other 2 machines crank over twice and fire, without glowing on a day like today. 2900 hours, dealer serviced. Smokes a little as well...bluish/black smoke. Air filter doesn't look too good, will be ordering all new filters this week. I'm leaning towards timing belt jumped or valves too tight. Any guess's?
Hello Mike I went look at one of these engines that was smoking bad. I did a little research and found them blowing up Very early, smoking etc. Lots of complaints. Not saying it's a bad motor but the manufacturer says not to operate it beyond a 25 degree angle (for a few seconds) *** So at say 4 o'clock your a great percentage over. if you look at a picture of the oil pan, it's flat like a cookie sheet. oil pickup and oil return problems! ! Hopefully someone who is more familiar with this engine, or had these problems or sourced these parts will chime in. This engine could be found running flat on a generator compressor and not experience oiling problems. Let's assume you have to use this machine for a while before you eliminate the problem. I priced a new motor spend$ kinda looked for a used one thought about finding a non running one for any useable parts. If i planned on milking it thtu a Buffalo winter for snow removal I would keep it indoors and prewar the engine, (however*) Or outside with at least a dipstick heater (and a tarp with a drop light on the engine? ) Thinnest viscosity the book calls for and High on the dipstick? Wondering what other engine would fit also oil pickup and or oil return modifications.
You may want to cut the oil filter open an take a peek for shiny stuff or on the engine you may purchase ( then offer him half Lol) Hope this helps Happy Hunting
check your fuel system change your filter one possibility is a sticking inj pump slow acting fuel shutoff solenoid or valve adjustment ( especially if a timing belt was done recently :drinkup
I've actually had good luck with the last one in my 873. It already had 4100 hours when I got it. I put a few hundred trouble free hours on it with nothing but maintenance. We have a ton of oil cooled deutz's in boom lifts at work, all run good. They are great cold weather starters. Theres a farmer on another forum with to 873g's, one with 9000 and another with 15000 hours on them still running every day. I found my coveted 5 star torx bit I got from the bobcat dealer so I can pull the timing cover and have a peek.
An update for you guys...Timing belt done, adjusted valves( they were a little loose), replaced injector return lines. Checked shut off solenoid, appears to me working. Did a compression test yesterday, 450, 465, 495, 500 psi on cylinders. glow plugs are working even though it shouldn't need them. I guess my next check is injectors. I'm sure glad I bought my beater 773, after getting 2' of snow in 24 hours I would have been in a lot of trouble.
Hey mike I'd pull injectors had a few deutz engines with similar symptoms all turned out to be tips of injectors damaged. Not atomizing fuel. Water in the fuel system will cause this.
I'll try that. Fuel looks kinda iffy..When I changed the fuel filter, it was pretty rusty.
Yeah, as ^ above, might be a good chance that too much Moisture integrated into the fuel system and may well pooch the Tips, ESP if you see evidence like that in the Filter ~ Hopefully all it takes, Compression seems 'darn capable' for sure.. Good Luck!!
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy the tips? I believe its a bosch system.
I am in up in Frosty Western Canada, and unlikely to suggest an easy to access source accordingly.. BUT, I looked quickly and see that guru 'willie59' had commented on a discussion earlier about the same engine, and HE would likely have a good idea where you might procure them, I should think!! Chances are good that he will happen along here, he seems to Be Everywhere, eventually, and a Wealth of Knowledge on all such things!! ** Just looked: I did keep this company's info tucked away as we had some parts for an old Deutz shipped up to us, and they seemed very helpful and happy to Ship up here _ Don't know much else about them really, but I looked and actually seem to have several models of Injectors and 1011 Parts listed, if you know exact model (and BOSCH or not) I guess .. again, Good Luck!! http://www.apmheavyduty.com/deutz4-1011-fuel-injectors.html
Another update: Injectors appear to be fine. Drained old fuel, replaced with fresh fuel. Triple checked the timing, hasn't changed. Rack is definitely moving. Replaced ALL of the fuel lines, from the pickup tube check valve to the supply line going to the first pump. All return lines as well. While cranking with injectors hanging from lines, I seem to be getting a smaller/weaker volume from injectors 1,2,4. Cylinder 3 looks like the poster child of the perfect injector. Nice atomized mist about 6" in each direction. The other injectors don't seem to be as strong. Switching injectors around to the pump on #3 cylinder ruled out the possibility of a bad injector, as they all seem to work fine as long as they are on the #3 pump. Do these pumps wear out? The one pump I disassembled looked fine. I guess they use shims between the pumps and block to regulate fuel. The only other thing I haven't tried is rotating the pump in the block. The holes are elongated in the pump for adjustment of some kind...possible where the fuel shut off is in regards to rack location? When I have run it (not lately) at idle it seems to have a slightly rough idle. When starting it seemed like one cylinder was firing before the others as well. Is there a proper way to bleed these? I've bled at the pumps and at the injectors. My past 2 1011's didn't bleed this hard. Logic says 3 out of the 4 pumps are bad or out of adjustment. Thanks for the link Bobcan.
Hello again _ seems you are going the right direction on getting things sorted out _ my best 'farmer guess' would be the Out of Adjustment if all the injectors seem to spray evenly otherwise.. not familiar with the pump specifics (hopefully someone chimes in here to better help) but I would think the Pressure (via shims) would be the most likely, as I think from here!! Hope it becomes an obvious and simple fix, can't be too far off I don't think.. Good Luck there!!