I have Deutz BF4M1011F engine that I need to find the heigth of the pistons above the block. The Deutz manual calls for a special service tool to set up and measure the height to get the right head gasket; one of three. Anyone have the poorman's tools, a straight edge and feeler gauge to get a measurement. Thanks, Terry
Personally I cant say, I havent done it.. BUT, A straight edge & feeler gauge sounds good to me.. as long as all your checking is piston height from the deck.. A feeler gauge costs about 3-5.00 & anything that's straight will work good enough, it doesn't necessarily have to be "exactly" factory straight. But like I said, I haven't done it..
If you look on your old gasket there will be notches cut into in the shape of a V it will be 1,2 or 3 that will tell you which one needs to be put back .Did you have head milled or just replacing gasket
The old gasket has 2 notches. The head is off because the rings are wore out. This engine was apart at some point in its life and I want to measure for myself before reassembling.I have a deutz shop manual; looking for a parts manual; haven't been able to find anything online. deutz controls acess very tight. not much in the way of aftermarket parts.
Terry what is your serial number of your engine .I can look them up on Deutz.
Engine SER # 263545 I need part #'s for .2mm rod brgs, piston & ring kits, Ring sets; I'm not sure which I need yet. head gasket 1 & 2 notch numbers. the piston height dimensions are close to upper limit on 1 notch & bottom limit on 2 notches. I will wait until I get pistons back in before ordering head gasket. Which way would you go? Also part # for valve guides; the head has 3 guides that that are 5mm higher than the others; possibly newer updated part, also can you identify the type of silicone Deutz uses. It is a very strong black silicone , it costs $90.00 for a tube Thanks, Terry
for tool king. additional parts needed , valve stem seals and 1 45 degree intake valve
Terry for some reason the Deutz site is not showing the part numbers . I am going to try this again .
My Duetz jumped time because the timing pulley was somehow bent during rebuild And didn’t notice it. It hit the valves and bent most pushrods. I replaced pulley, belt ,tightener and push rods. I did a compression test and it’s low at 135 lbs. Could this have bent the valves on All 4 cylinders? I was told it is not an interference head. What should it have for compression?
did you end up pulling the head and checking for bent valves? im running into a similar scenario and i might just have the first deutz ever with bent valves it seems, every single thing ive read says theyve never seen it.
I am going to do a leak down test tomorrow to see if any valves are leaking. The camshaft pulley was bent causing it too jump timing. I installed a new pulley, belt and tensioner. When I started smoke was coming off the belt. Note ! The new tensioner has to be pushed away from you. I pulled it towards me and the pulley was hitting a bolt head. Jumped timing again.
what compression test adapter are you using? Im waiting for the one i ordered here the Lang Tools TU-15-18A im quite certain ive got bent valves, im reluctant to just pull the head at this moment, even though im going to have to, but id like to get my compression numbers first to have a baseline to go off.
I have a leak down tester. Not sure the brand. But I also have a diesel compression tester. I used the glow plug adapter and adapted it to the leak down tester. I bought the compression tester at Harbour freight for about $30.
can you send the part number of the kit that worked? Is it the threaded longer piece? havent seen any ones that look like theyd work with the duetz injectors besides the one i ordered, ive got the f4m1011
Head gasket measurements.
Duetz head gaskets
I checked my motor today after 4 exhaust pushrods bent. When it was running it didn’t sound right. I think it was off a tooth on the belt. When I changed the belt the back side was looser. After reading the manual in detail I read to pin the cam and the crank First. Then it said to loosen the bolt retaining the cam pulley That way the pulley can center and new belt is tight on both sides. Then retighten the cam pinch bolt. I didn’t do this the first time and I believe it was the problem. Note: I did a leak down test first on all and no valves were leaking.
you said you had 135psi on your compression test? You think that was due to being out of time? I just did my comp test today on my motor, will insert a picture, heads coming off tomorrow as i suspect i have bent valves which they say is basically impossible, guess well see.
Did you use a belt tension tool? Per the manual you should; Belt too loose it can skip a tooth, too tight it will eat the oil pump bearing. Harder to leak if they can't even open.
Note!Correction it has 335 psi. My bad
With these pressures I don’t think the head needs to come off. Change the timing belt and loosen the cam shaft pulley bolt. Pin cam and crank and tighten the belt adjuster. Then and only then tighten the cam bolt by holding the inner nut and tighten the outer bolt to torque specs.
my timing skipped, had all bent pushrods, ive went over my timing about 5 times now and im timed correctly, belts tensioned correctly, ive got marks on my gears onto the timing case as well and there lining up perfectly, these are low compression numbers my engines misfiring really bad and hard starting, theres only 1 cylinder in the spec required by deutz, 25-30bar, considering my engine skipped timing and the valves likely contacted the pistons, they are more then likely damaged and bent, unless of all things ive randomly ran into ring failure on multiple pistons, its not adding up. Makes more sense that i have valve train issues considering the failure i ran into and the numbers im seeing, heads coming off.
Good idea if you know to post Hours on engine as some other things can cause problems some times. Simon C
ive went through the injectors and unit injectors there all working correctly, fuel systems fine machine has 6700 hours, i actually bought it broken with the timing belt failure, the guy had no idea what went wrong but stated it started smoking heavily then shut off and wouldnt start, once i took the timing cover off the belt was just flopping around, found all 8 bent pushrods.
How would you know if you dont have broken rings, would be easier to figure out if you spray heavily into the cylinder with WD40 and then recheck the compression. If the cylinder is in bad shape the compression will increase with the WD40. If it does not go up you have bent valves or burn't valves. Do this test before taking off the head as cylinders love oil to really boost compression. Valve problem will be hardly any increase as nothing will fix the bad valve. You would not have a head gasket gone by any chance? Simon C
When you review the chain reaction of things that happened here, sure i guess the motor could have been pooched before the timing belt jumped, as im going off what the previous owners telling me, which he said it was a great running engine until the day it jumped time, seems like a real honest guy as he told me he thinks it needs a motor, regardless ive had a timing issue and these are interference engines despite everyone claiming theyve never seen a bent valve, as far as im seeing i dont have a headgasket issue, zero external leaks, and from what ive seen they start puking oil out the exhaust, which i have none of, the engines either going to have to come out of the machine, and or the cylinder head has to come off, either way im fine with diving this deep as its a fairly easy engine to work on, just wanted to chime in on the things im running into, as theres very little information on these engines and everyone likes to tell everyone else they wont bend valves. From the sounds im hearing out of the intake and exhaust sound like valves not closing at the correct time and fuels dumping through the valves that arent closing fully, where if i had a piston ring issue im not sure id hear any of these popping noises.
i guess for ***** ill try a wet compression test and compare my results, not a bad idea thanks
You are there and will figure it out. I simply make suggestions, simple no money involved ideas to check and better evaluate. Simon C