I have the Deutz 2011 engine in a Rayco C87FM. It started to blow oil out the exhaust side of turbo. We replaced the turbo twice but, still does it. The engine has about 2500 hrs on it. Wondering if anyone has had this problem or where should we look next. TIA Mark
Most common cause of that on those engines is head gasket failure. No way to verify, only thing you can do is pull the head and replace the gasket. Not only that, 2500 hrs, if it has the original timing belt I'd be replacing the timing belt and the tensioner.
As above provided its oil cooled. 2011 can be water cooled as well. When you pull the manifold you will see what cylinder is wet. Ive also seen them pick up cylinders so have a good look in the holes when the heads off.
Thanks for the responses. Question I have is there are 3 types of gaskets for the head. Do I replace the one that's on there? Like there shows a 1 notch a 2 notch and a 3 notch??? What do you mean pick up cyclinder? Thanks
Thanks for the responses. Question I have is there are 3 types of gaskets for the head. Do I replace the one that's on there? Like there shows a 1 notch a 2 notch and a 3 notch???
Have a look at the old head gasket. You should see a set of defined notches on the outer edge. This denotes the thickness of the gasket. “Picked up” means that the piston has scored the cylinder bore. There will be visible vertical lines on the cylinder that you can catch with your finger nail. Unfortunately (iirc) that is a parent bore engine and will require it to be stripped and machined. Usually caused from over heating.
Thanks for your reply. It hasn't been over heated. Son n law was using the mulcher and the head got tangled up and once he got it untangled and went to start it is when it started blowing blue/white smoke. So now oil is coming out the exhaust side of turbo. So we should be okay replacing gasket with same notched one that is on it? Again thanks
Deutz have some real bad history with these machines which has included law suits. Many feed up owners chucked out those engines and repowered with Yanmar. Those that didn't lost the shirt off their backs sadly.
Use a head gasket that has the same number of notches as the one you have now. And like I stated previously, now is the time to replace that timing belt and tensioner as well.
Thank you
It's been a while since I've done one of those engines and going on vague memory, but I don't think you have to remove the injectors, but something tells me to remove the valve cover you have to remove those cloth braided fuel return hoses that jump between injectors. If so, when you order your head gasket you might consider ordering 1 or 2 ft of that hose, it's a special metric size you won't find at an auto parts and it does deteriorate.