Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

deutz diesel fl4 912 crankshaft main bearing question

todapark ยท 2025-09-27 21:40

Recently spun a rod journal bearing on drilling rig Deutz 4 cyl. diesel, decided to rebuild whole motor, removed crankshaft main bearing caps and pulled crankshaft out, found upper main bearings are slotted and have a hole thru the center however there is no oil feed hole on the block, why do the uppers have the hole and slot? Lower main bearings also have hole and slot and oil feed hole exists on crankshaft journal. Diesel ran fine for years with them in.

Replies10
  1. #1Simon C2025-09-27 22:03

    No hole on upper bearing location of block, I have a Deutz Operation manual in front of me and it shows the engine block lube circuit with the main oil gallery feeding straight down to the main bearings through a block hole and the crank is cross drilled to the rod bearings. That is what I have in front of me. Send a picture of your block bottom side at main bearing. Simon C

  2. #2todapark2025-09-27 22:41

    Thanks, unfortunately I already installed the new crank and torqued everything down so can't take a pic, I previously double checked and mine had no oil feed holes in the block at all and I had someone else inspect it also prior to crank install and they said no holes in block for any of the mains, I installed a new crankshaft, and it came with new slotted upper bearings also with a hole, I'm just perplexed why there is no upper oil feedholes in mine, I also have a Deutz service book and it also states feed holes in block but mine doesn't have them, as said used for many years on a drilling rig turning lots of torque and had no problems until spun rod bearing, going to finish the rebuild and cross my fingers, just thought maybe I was missing something or there had been a factory modification at some time, the block is a Deutz and clearly marked as such, will check the old crank tomorrow to see if it has a single feed hole or 2 on opposite sides of the mains journals, not sure why it would but I am confused by this, I don't like mysteries but this is definitely one.

  3. #3chidog2025-09-27 23:58

    Sorry I'm lost, none of any of this makes sense. So much nicer to see touch and feel things rather than read words. Good luck anyway. No oil holes in any of the main bearing block bores at all? Are you sure they weren't all plugged up with some kind of crud? How was the block cleaned? The how was it cleaned is the most important question there is posted here. Please answer it. I'm guessing just a rag in the bores and go for it?

  4. #4Simon C2025-09-28 10:35

    Do not understand at all. If there is no hole in the circumference of the bore, how does it get any oil. All plugged is what I think, or weirdest thing I've heard of. I would be getting an explanation before ever firing that thing up and destroying the crank. Simon C Best have a second look before putting any fuel to that thing. Totally bizzare in my mind. Something has to send oil into the bearings or they will seize. Simon C

  5. #5Simon C2025-09-28 10:41

    Was that block line bored with sleeves put in the main bearing bores and the hole not put in them. Only thing I can think of. Simon C

  6. #6chidog2025-09-28 20:31

    Yeah a picture would have been very nice. Oh well thats what rushing does. Never rush if there is a big question about something. Not to be and insult but I just like this statement, as it sometimes explains things. Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

  7. #7Simon C2025-09-28 21:15

    I have been rebuilding motors for 40 years now, have never seen main bearings without oil feed of some kind . The extra grooves you sometimes find in mains is to hold more oil, splash lubrication to rods would be most likely insufficient lube. Me thinks this motor will destroy the crank on start up within 1 minute unless the publication and picture I have is wrong. I just looked at 2 other manuals I have of Deutz engines and all show the main bearings being fed by the oil gallery through the top of bearing hole, and crank cross-drilled to feed the rod bearings Hope the owner spends 1 hour to get to the root of this problem or will be ruining some good parts. If I am wrong I would sure like to see how the bearings will stay lubricated. Simon C

  8. #8chidog2025-09-29 00:54

    Hasn't come back yet, so we may never know. To splash lube something like that there will need to be dippers that splash like crazy. Or spray jets powered by the oil pump. Yeah such lube systems can work, and best to use frictionless bearings and not hydrodynamic for that sorta system. What year were these engines built?

  9. #9HarleyHappy2025-09-29 08:35

    Think someone was smoking a little too much wacky weed.

  10. #10Simon C2025-09-29 11:00

    Seen one all in pieces the last time for me was 35 years ago. They were super expensive to rebuild and were often replaced with Cummins engines . They were used extensively in the mining industry. Have worked since those days on the injection system and adjusting valves but last one all apart I seen was 35 years ago. Built in 1970's and maybe up until 1990's. Don't know for sure. Manufacturers don't usually drill the top bearing out for nothing, adds to the cost for them. Hope the gentleman gets it all sorted out. Simon C