Hello all- looking for some information on a problem that may not be a problem. Have a 2004 JLG 400S with an air cooled Deutz. The owner says the oil cooler never gets too warm to lay your hand on it regardless of how long it runs. He's concerned it may be stopped up but it isn't setting off any alarms or anything. Is this normal operating range for these things? I don't think he has an issue but some of you know a lot about Deutz so I told him I would ask about it. Thanks so much!
I can't answer that for your machine but will say that Deutz engines I've worked and ran it is not uncommon to see oil temps of 120 to 160 and it's normal for water cooled engines to run much higher oil temps. Blocked fan inlet or missing shrouding will make a Deutz cook itself.
There is a thermostat in the block on some models. It may be stuck open. It might be worth shooting the feed tubes with an IR temp gun. Compare hot side to cold. Odds are, there is no issue.
So it would seem they can run pretty cool then. I don't think he has an issue but he was concerned. Thanks for your input- I really appreciate it!
I will check that. Thanks for telling me about the thermostat. I'm thinking if there was an issue it would probably have shown itself by now, but I told him I'd ask. Thanks so much!
You can test the thermost with a heat gun that's usually how i check them. Pull it out and just some hot air to it. Should push out. The oil coolers don't really get that hot. You can pop the hoods up and rest your hand on it with out getting burned. It would pop a code and shut down if it got of range. Sounds perfectly normal to me. But props to the owner for noticing that. Most the people I deal with are like what it takes oil
A manlift is not exactly a high load machine. And the deutz probably doesn't have any regulation of the air cooling for the engine, so the engine is not going to reach full load max operating temp, and the oil thermostat will not open because it doesn't have to, the oil stays in the operating range without additional cooling.
Thanks guys for all the info- I appreciate it so much!