Ok working on a Deutz, was blowing oil from exhaust #1 and #2. Looked like diesel slobber from an old detriot 71 or 53, so I pulled injectors took apart and cleaned tips and made sure moving free. Installed and still slobbering. I checked oil coming from exhaust with paper towel to test for diesel mixed with oil none showed. If you know the paper towel trick. I had also tested injectors outside of head for spray pattern all good no dribbles. So I removed headgasket and replaced with a Victor gasket from local Deutz parts supplier which matched to serial number. While installing gasket inspected cylinder bores has some wear but no scoring, none you could catch with a finger nail, just wear. Once head gasket installed primed and started, now slobber from all three holes??? Smoke is very light not what I would expect from bad or stuck rings. Looking into exhaust while running doesnt apper to be valve seats leaking down, also probably too much oil for seats. So what would the Deutz experts think at this point rings or possible warped head. I did not take to machine shop to have checked. Was a 2 notch gasket and used same. Maybe I will pull in the morning and spray both sides with copper coat and see. Thanks for any guidance or thoughts.
My first questions are is it turbocharged? Is it an emissions engine with EGR? Does it have smoke control?
Interesting question! Never seen turbocharged 1011! But it doesn’t mean they do not exist!
Non turbo, old style injector return from the top.
Hard to see a source you haven't written off. Your only possibilities are rings, valves or really retarded timing. Any history on belt service? Do you know how hot or cool your oil is running?
Volvo compact wheel loaders use them. We don't know what the engine is powering yet
Thanks! Good to know!
Regarded timing may also come from worn out tappets. Can you hear the clicking sound like very big valve lash through all that noise?
It was stated, that the head gasket was replaced. I certainly hope the overhead was adjusted.
Oil in exhaust ports=no bueno!
No tappet noise overhead ran.
runs good just light smoke and oil from exhaust. One wierd part was # not dribbling until head gasket changed. Torqued with proper specs with dig torque wrench. Maybe warped head or clearance need adjusting now. Had good amount of carbon build up on block around sleeves. Just little FYI diesel shop owner 20yrs,, worked on every model diesel engine made. Rebuilt all. But have not ran into this with a Deutz, hate to keep throwing time and money into and not be on right track and owner cant afford me to just rebuild and know all os correct. Engine is in a welder. I dont know on timing belt; but doesnt start and run as if retarded.
What about oil temp. Possible that thermostat is stuck open keeping all the oil running through the cooler. You're not gaining oil are you? Just looking at all possibilities as scattered as they are.
Only 3 places oil could come from headgasket, valve seals, or rings. So I guess rings,, or warped head and gasket not sealing.
I dont know temp, no gauge but I will shoot with gun before I tear back down. Thats good thing to check; but it dribbles right away withing 30 sec. even after I clean out. I need put pressure gauge on it see if something restricted over pressuring maybe. Not gaining any oil.
Did you fuel test the valves when you had the head off? Quick, cheap and effective.
I leak tested by standing on the side and pouring dieel in. But leaking valves will not put oil out exhaust unless getting in past head gasket or rings... I know offering all good advice. Just putting info out there for information. Not trying to be ugly.
Ok. So they did or didn't leak? If your head is flooding with oil before it can return to the pan, it could be getting pulled past the seals, if it has any left, and wicking past the guides. Head gasket is least likely culprit. If that was leaking, you'd know. German engineering says head warpage is very very slim possibility. This leaves us with rings, and you've already stated, no scoring , and certainly not in all 3 holes. I'd remove and freshen the head, you might see some hourglass valve stems. Good luck
Ok thanks for info, pulling head now. I will update later.
Since doing the head gasket have you been running it with the exhaust manifold on or off? Asking since even after flushing the manifold and muffler with the Hotsy, it took an hour or so of running to finish smoking/dribbling out all the oil on the last one I did, enough so that it made for a very nervous hour until it finally cleared up. Have you done a compression or leakdown test?
Check your exhaust valve seals. Those POS seals ALWAYS seem to pop off. Would be replacing those stupid things all the time.
Manifold off. Pulled head again. Seemed to have carbon and oil too far out in head gasket. With head off put about inch of kerosine in the cylinders. #2 leaked out in about 15 min. I know this isnt leakdown, but shows rings not sealing. So looks like ring job. Which unfortunatly in welder means seperating machine just to get oilpan out.
Sorry took so long to come back with update. Once oil pan dropped found 1 1/2" sand in bottom of pan. It appears welder ran in a dusty enviro with out air filter or oil change, if ever. Found oil rings flat due to grit in oil.
Ouch, that's a rough ending.