Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deutz F4M1011F replacement possibilities

Spectech · 2021-02-02 12:49

Greetings all. I have a FM41011F in a boom lift that threw a rod. After a lengthy search for a reasonably priced used engine, I found what I believe is an B4L1011F (no tag) as it has a turbo, and integrated fan/oil cooler, whereas original is remote cooler and non turbo. Would anyone know if this engine could be configured (swapping cooler and other necessary parts from existing F4M)to work as suitable replacement?

Replies16
  1. #1southernman132021-02-05 04:54

    Idk but it would probably be best to stay original. I would think one of those engines wouldn’t be that hard to find. There’s just so May out there running. What model boom lift is it in?

  2. #2Spectech2021-02-05 09:00

    Yes I would prefer to keep it original, however the F4L1011F currently seems much more available then my F4M1011F. If the only difference between the two is the oil cooler/fan location and they could be swapped?? I would definitely consider it. This is really what I would like confirmed, as I have no idea, and also if the (B)F4L1011 (turbo option version) would be a deal breaker as a replacement, or if you could simply not use the turbo and replace manifold with non-turbo manifold? The lift is a JLG 600A. Thanks!

  3. #3southernman132021-02-05 09:43

    Tenfo. I don’t know about swapping configurations on the engine. Sounds like it’s doable if it’s the same basic engine. I’d contact a local rental store service manager and see what they may know. They may give u the deutz reps number

  4. #4southernman132021-02-05 09:55

    I’ve reached out to a service manager I know from a large independent aerial company. I’ll let u know what I find.

  5. #5southernman132021-02-05 10:17

    Yeah you can do that it’s the same block he’s just gonna have to change the bell housing fly wheel oil cooler set up all that good stuff This was his reply. Then he called me and said it was pretty involved to do that. The throttle set up is different so you have to remove and change the front cover. Remove all the timing chain and gears etc. the timing is very critical on those engines. One tooth off one way it won’t start. One the other way it’ll burn a hole in the piston.

  6. #6Spectech2021-02-06 09:40

    That great to know. Thank you very much for the info, very much appreciated!

  7. #7southernman132021-02-06 10:36

    Yes sir no problem!

  8. #8Skidloadertech2021-02-07 16:27

    I work at a Deutz engine dealership and have a fair amount of experience with these engines. There is really no reason to swap out the front cover to install a 4 L where a 4M was. There are some internal differences of which I don’t remember all the details right now. I think it has to do with crankshaft and bearings. But externally it should fit even if you need to swap bell housings and flywheels which you likely will. You will need your speed sensor which is in the bell housing. You will probably want to switch out the engine wiring harness and any of the sensors that aren’t the same. You would need to remove the engine cooler and swap your remote cooler adapters onto the cooler ports. As far as throttle controls all that should be required is changing out the stop solenoid/fuel rack actuator and locking the throttle lever to required speed. If the rated engine speed for the mechanical governor is different you would need to change governor springs also not a huge deal. It might not be a total piece of cake but it’s very doable and has be done. If you or someone helping you has a bit of mechanical knowledge and some imagination it should go fine.

  9. #9Skidloadertech2021-02-07 16:33

    I forgot to mention that these engines actually have a timing belt. You don’t want to mess with it unless you have proper timing pins and instructions. I also should have read the original post better . When I looked back at it I caught that you are working with a 1011 not a 2011 which is what I had in my head. Those two series are very similar but the things I said about speed sensor, actuators, and wiring might not apply for the 1011 if it’s old enough. Which should make this swap easier.

  10. #10Spectech2021-02-08 10:07

    Great information, I really appreciate it. Thanks for the help!

  11. #1103jeremy2024-05-25 02:26

    I have a bf4m 1011 that is bad. I bought a F4M 1011f I’m going to change the switch everything over to the f4m to make it have turbo. Do you think that I should switch the governor from the turbo engine to the different one o got? Also I’m trying to figure out if I need to switch the injectors too? The bf4m has Bosch pfe1a80s3008 injectors and the f4m has pfe1a80s3012 injectors. I haven’t been able to find the info on the injectors to figure out what cc the injectors are?!

  12. #12MarshallPowerGen2024-05-25 11:30

    May want to start a new thread, as this one is pretty old. What's wrong with the original engine? If you send me your email, I can send you the parts manual that covers both of your engines, and shows side by side part number differences between them. At a quick glance, injectors, injection pumps, camshaft, etc are all different.

  13. #1303jeremy2024-05-25 11:57

    I have a bf4m 1011 that is bad. I bought a F4M 1011f I’m going to change and switch everything over to the f4m to make it have turbo. Do you think that I should switch the governor from the turbo engine to the different one i got? Also I’m trying to figure out if I need to switch the injectors too? The bf4m has Bosch pfe1a80s3008 injectors and the f4m has pfe1a80s3012 The org engine broke a rod on the bottom end of the rod above the rod cap. The rod hung on, but partially they they ran it for a little while. Cause it ate the crank rod journal above a 1/4 inch out of round. And I just noticed what I put for the f4m injector^ it’s supposed to say pfe1a80s3012, I just edited it. ^ thanks [email protected]

  14. #14MarshallPowerGen2024-05-25 20:52

    Email (with manual) sent.

  15. #1503jeremy2024-05-25 22:03

    Th

  16. #1603jeremy2024-05-25 22:04