The 912 engine kit I bought came with absolutely no documentation and there are some mystery pieces in it. 12 grommet type thingies with about 1/4" holes and a fine spring around the sealing redish rubber. Anyone know what these are? I don't remember seeing them during stripping. It's a 6 liter so 12 means there's 2 for each cylinder, The other mystery are the green ans black pushrod tube seals. The last 912 engine I did in 2008 had only green ones. Since those green ones went both near the cylinder as well as near the tappets I figure they're good in either position from a thermal perspective. But how about the black ones? I'm putting them on the bottom end of the tubes figuring that it 's cooler there but would really like to know the correct answer so it won't keep bugging me
Those are valve stem seals by the look of it. Now the color question I have no idea
That is what they reminded me of but rubber where head temperatures can approach 500 degrees? The heads on the stripped engine were low-end chinese knockoffs so I had used but genuine OEM heads professionally rebuilt and they're installed & final torqued. What they seem to have are shiny all-metal looking pieces where the stems come out of the guides there, not easy to decipher behind the springs. In the parts book the pushrod seals have the same part number, these are likely the all-green ones that I remember 02232840, no color shown.
I say vs seals too..
Those are without a doubt valve stem seals
Valve stem seals and the rest is push tube seals. If I remember right, the pushrod tubes have a swelled boss on the ends where the oring goes. There was a change years ago in the orings but I don't remember why. If I am remembering right, the green is on the top at the head and the brass backer and black Oring goes on the block end. Someone correct me if you know differently as my memory sometimes fails me.
Thanks, that's a load off my mind, first to say in 24 hours that he wants them can have them There's nothing like mystery pieces left over at job's end, much worse than missing ones! Speaking of engine kits mine came with no valve cover seals, I guess that's now another kit by itself.
The hard valve cover gaskets around the perimeter are usually reused unless the old ones are damaged
Found them, they were probably part of the kit but I separated them out for some reason. As fro the pushrod tubes with the seals and spring yhios is how I did them without the special spring-compressor: Using a threadrod, a tiewrap and very thin steel wire I compress the spring and tie it, then remove the threadrod and it's ready to go.