i have a lincoln commander 500 with a deutz diesel model # F3L912 that will start just fine and run for 20 seconds then shut itself off. hit the start button and it fires right back up then dies after about 20 sec. anybody have any ideas? fuel is full, battery and alternator good.
Does it have an electric shut-off solenoid gizmo in the fuel line going to the inj. pump..?? They do have, or most of them have, safety devises that'll shut'm down if something not right.. Oil pressure is the main one..
Do you have to press & hold a button while turning the key switch?? IF SO, you have safety devises.
Not viewing the machine I can only guess so; does it have a low oil pressure switch? Look for any safety overrides that might be defective.
FW>> DONT YA KNOW?? We're ALL supposed to know what they look like.. how they operate & which safety switches are bad..LOL How much oil they take & what kind, what injection pump it has on it & what the pump #'s are.. .. & what the timing is.. & the torque on the rod bolts.. & valve clearances.. Lol
Yes it has the fuel solenoid. To start it, flip toggle to "on" and push button. On what I'm pretty certain is the oil pressure switch it has 2 wires to it. I started the machine and put both wires together (not on switch) to bypass it and it still dies. Im leaning toward the fuel solenoid being bad but not sure and dont know how to test it
There should also be a switch on the belt tensioner which could cause the problem. It shuts the engine down if the belt breaks.
Just 1 belt. Fan, crank and alternator. Alternator is the tensioner
Try running alternate source of fuel?
That's interesting. I don't think i've ever seen an air cooled Deutz without a spring tensioner on the fan belt.
Well if it's rare or obsolete you can bet I'm gunna have to deal with it.
I don't think I've ever seen one with a Spring loaded belt tensioner
Just to confirm we're all talking about the same engine?
That looks more hatz to me
You said, flip the toggle & push the button.. The toggle is gonna be battery voltage & the button engages the starter?? Do you HAVE TO HOLD DOWN a button before the engine will stay running.. The ones w/ oil pressure sensors have a button you have to hold down until oil pressure is up, then release it.. I'm kinda thinkin like Cmark.. "SOME" engines had a spring tensioner w/ a button on it that would shut the engine down if the timing belt got sloppy..
Mot. Nr. 8602808 Model F3L912 Fam. YDZXL03.8016 Cmark thats not the exact engine. and there is no button to hold down its just a push button start. in other words no key switch.
If you don't have to hold down a button, chances are there are no safety shut downs.. The belt tensioner sensor, if equipped, WILL shut one down.. BUT it was an option on those engines.. Yours might not have one. Now, back to the problem.. does it shut off like its electrical/quick or like fuel/chug chug chug..??
It's quick. If I flip switch on but don't start it, I can hear a "clunk" and then hear it again after about 20 seconds which is about how long it runs when i start it.
The clunk is coming out of the fuel pump
Can you post a pic of the engine & the shut off solenoid? Is the shut off solenoid a 2 wire or 3 wire plug??
Is the sol. attached to the inj. pump or the front of the engine..
OK. So if no belt tensioner switch, it should have some other way of shutting down if the belt breaks. I wouldn't mind betting that it senses alternator output and shuts down if there is none. Also, there will be an overtemperature sensor. Open the door and look for a sensor screwed into one of the cylinder heads and see if there's any problem with the wiring there.
Hell, I've seen bad key switches shut'm down too..
This is what I got.
According to the Lincoln troubleshoot it will do what it does with a bad alternator. Alternator is newly rebuilt and I checked it to make sure it is working
Take the pin out of the throttle & operate it by hand.. is the throttle the shut off.. does it pull all the way back to shut it off..
Is the 2 wire gizmo the fuel shut off??
That 2 wire thing directlybehind the inj pump sure looks like a murphy oil pressure switch
MAN OH MAN that an old type switch..
Pump guy i looked up the manual for this unit hard to read the schematic ,the poster is pretty sure it is an oil pressure switch but i think all it is doing is turning on the hr meter as he has jumped it together and it still dies , alternator is the broken belt sensor , but in the trouble shooting that travis said in post 26 the lincoln manual also states high oil temp will do it also as cmark stated in post 23 , so yeah I almost bet if he threw a solonoid at iit it is going to do the same thing unless he finds the oil temp or over temp switch and bypass it to eliminate the last part of the safety shutdown system for testing purposes only
Thanks a bunch for all the help. I'm going on vacation for a week 1/2 so when I get back I will try your suggestions and let ya know. Thanks again
A WEEK & AHALF!!! whataya, RICH?? Get your ass back to work.!!! Lol Have fun..
i believe it is
no it doesnt. there is what i think is the fuel shut off solenoid directly behind the oil pressure switch. when i turn the switch on to start it, that solenoid engages for about 20 seconds then disengages whether i start the machine or not.
i found a 2 wire sensor behind the upper fuel filter that screws into the head that i believe to be the temp sensor. i took wires off and jumped together and i still have the shutoff issue.
also there are 4 wires going to this solenoid, 2 on each side of it. when i flip switch to "on" all 4 are hot and solenoid engages (rod moves). after about 20 seconds it disengages (rod moves back), i hear the "clunk" and it dies(if running). all 4 wires stay hot and i can immediately restart without flipping switch off and back on.
Just scrolling through forums - is this still a problem? I use to work on a line of gensets that had a timer built into the panel - the oil pressure and temperature safeties were wired in series - the time looked like a mini capacitor - it would "bypass" the safety switches for 20 seconds after the key was turned to the start position. So if the oil press switch went out - it would die after 20 seconds. or if the temp sender was bad. or any other switch in the series - I had a boiling pot setup to test the temp switches and thermostats. I used a air gun to test pressure switches. I hate throwing parts at something so testing things like temp switches doesn't bother me.
We never heard back from Travis.. I wonder if he got in trouble on vacation.. Lol Happens ALOT to some people.{me}